DIY Coral Rock

si_sphinx

I thought I would share my attempt at DIY coral rock.

The Ingredients:

IMG_2776_zpsf16f7431.jpg

IMG_2764_zps00c39cd2.jpg

IMG_2765_zpsa9b8ac2a.jpg

IMG_2766_zps2bdb176d.jpg

I have made the rock molds in by pressing a real rock into damp sand to get the look of the real rock.

IMG_2782_zps2857d785.jpg

In a bucket, I half filled it with oyster grit & sand and rinsed it 3-4 times to remove all the dust and dirty particles.

Then I added 3-4 scoops of the cement and mixed. No water was needed because the rinsed oyster grit still held a lot of water.

IMG_2778_zps529d3480.jpg

When Mixed together I had a few scoops of rock salt and mixed.

IMG_2777_zps70468463.jpg

IMG_4197_zpsf6888de0.jpg

I then took handfuls of the mixture and crumble it through my fingers and let it drop into the moulds. Patting it into the molds would have removed all the air and gaps in the mixture making it just look like a bit of concrete. So dropping it in loosely gave it a more random and natural look.

IMG_2784_zpsd369229a.jpg

Then I waited overnight before removing the rocks from the sand and rinsing them. They are still very soft so I had to be carefull not to break the thinner small rocks. After they sat for a week to cure hard, I soaked them in water for a few months to dissolve the rock salt. This made the rock more porous and soaked out any chemicals that leach from the concrete.

IMG_2787_zps0d0994db.jpg

Here is the first rock in my tank, covered in Green Star Polyps

IMG_3438_zps0ebf695b.jpg