Boxfish reef safe

Duke

Jansens have a couple of boxfish coming, are they reef safe?

All the ifo I can find does not look good, toxin shit when stressed (sounds like my misses) that can wipe out a tank.

Need to feed often due to small stomich.

Don't like too much water movemnt.

Grows to the size of a foot ball, but slowly I'm told.

Any good news?

I want something differnt (like everyone else) that is reef safe.

i had a little yellow box fish in a mainly soft coral tank with some peaceful tank mates ( mandarin, small wrasse). my little boxfish was quite cute! he only ate all the tube worms. not a big worry.but!!

one day i did a mayor cleanout (used to have tons of caulerpa growing in that tank) when i got a phone call that my little son was sick in daycare and if i could come and pick him up. so rushed everything a bit and i must have stressed the boxfish?? after getting back home (doctor visit) i found the mandarin dead with his gills wide open. the boxfish was on his last leg and so was the wrasse. i removed them and placed them in new water from my other tank in separate containers. this didn't help either. all fish perished in a very short time. no ill effects were visible on the cleaner shrimp or any of the corals.

i still have the boxfishes body (they dry out nicely) :cry:

i wouldn't put an other one into any tank unless on its own. mine never touched any corals, but he was only approx. 6cm before drying.

great fish lots of caracter but a time bomb. :(

Niger triggers are safe.If you want proof go to the w house and buy the dvd called sea world i think.(mines on loan).It is a movie of two diff reef tanks and realy well done.One has 2 niger triggers in it and cleaner shrimps.Yes cleaner shrimps(amazing).The other tank has archilles,powder blue,lipstick,sohal,blue tangs,tangs everywere.Its a dream come true for me.Its only 9.99 of course and worth putting in the collection.

I've got a M/F pair of Blue Chin Triggers on order. Should be here in a couple weeks (hopefully)!! 8) I really wanted to get a pair of Crosshatch Triggers, but I guess they aren't on the import list. :(

Many stories of success with either of these on other forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - to the member whose boxfish died - i dont know exactly which one you had but i know some (possibly all) have a toxic mucus attached to their body. If they die then it leaves a toxic scum on and in the water. If you catch it in time (you didnt as you were out, and thats not to blame you), then sometimes you can save lives with huge chemical filtration and massive water changes. Sometimes this is worse than losing the fish as it may bring about huge swings in water parameters and stress the inverts and corals. Best not to keep boxfish full stop. Some of these beauties just belong in the ocean or a tank of their own. (And thats a lonely life to lead).