Bore Water?

flymike

Hi Guys,

Were moving out to somewhere a little more rural than we are now.

Im currently replacing around 250l total, in my 3 main african cichlid tanks a week,

We aren't on town supply and are lucky enough to have around 100,000l rain water storage (5 tanks).

We are buying a property that's running on 100% bore water, and has been for the last 50 odd years.

To my knowledge, there has been no issues with the hot water cylinder or pipe work in regards to deposits or any buildups at all.

I really need to know what I need to lookout for in regards to water quality for my tank top ups?

I was thinking about a RO/DI filter, although I feel this would be an extreme measure?

Will I need to look in to carbon filtering or something like that?

I havent had a chance to get a water test done yet, but will do.

Any of you guys running your systems on bore water?

Cheers

Mike

I would expect many of the minerals found in bore water responsible for deposits in hot water cylinders (calcium, for example) would be beneficial to your rift lake fish over rain water (or RO). I'd give it all the 'regular' tests initially (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, hardness, TDS) to see what it is like, and keep an eye on the colour too.

If you're currently using rain water and have a reliable recipe to buffer it to the levels your fish prefer then you could always set up a separate rainwater catchment at the new house to feed the fish tanks and leave the bore water for the house supply.