2-3,mm gravel? suggestions? sands?

congo

Hey there

Im also having trouble looking for some planted tank substrate. (reply posted in previous forum too but need all the help I can get)

Decided to bite the bullet and purchase some flash JBL aquabasis for under-substrate, but now have another problem. Where to find fine sand / gravel for the top?

American forums etc seem to recommend 2-3mm c.f. plantedtank.net

Most gravels for sale in shops and landscapers are 3-6mm. I've found the sand at Placemaker types to be very fine, and the sandblasting sand to be unsuitable.

Im going crazy trying to find 2-3mm sand / gravel. Grr pls help. Tried one pool place but didnt look like silica type sand. Might have to try another in the weekend.

Let me know what has and hasnt worked and whether I'll just have to buy some 3-6mm gravel for my plants. (crypts etc w fossicking cories)

thanks!

Southland Sand and Gravel do a very nice 2-4mm sand that's perfect for planted tanks. It's a fairly dark colour using a blend of different coloured stones. They only sell it in 1000kg lots but they might be able to tell you who they deal with in your area.

They are in Invercargil. The sand is pretty cheap. Last time I got some it cost about $160 for 1000kg. The freight to get it to Napier was $500 though... It goes by the name 'Oreti Rock'.

Warren, how do you assume "congo" comes from down south.

I don't see anything in his profile to suggeat this.

maybe it would be a reasonable idea to make it a compulsory part in the registration.

By the way Congo, where are you from??

Alan 104

Yes they do say assumption is the mother of all f ups.

Anyways misinformation doesnt help either. Im from Auckland but dont mind driving around to find my precious.

Came across some nice sand at Stone and Water World, more of a golden colour, but again would only order in 1T. Am keen for something dark but see a 7kg bag of Seachem Onyx gravel costs >$50!!! Crazy. Was hoping there was a better way.

Woops Warren, just read your last line

The freight to get it to Napier was $500 though... It goes by the name 'Oreti Rock'.

But now it doesn't matter, we know where Congo is from.

There is a place off the Mt Wellington Highway that have a large selection of stones, gravels, etc.

But I don't know their name sorry.

Alan 104

Yeah freight is the killer. Seachem is from the States so almost all the price will be freight.

I think Stone and Water World does the gravel I mentioned or can get it. The 1T requirement can be all different types of stone. I have a local supplier here in Napier who is bringing about 200kg of the stuff up in his next shipment. The total has to be 1T but it can be made up from all sorts of other types of gravel/sand too. Have a talk to Stone and Water World to see if they deal with Southland Sand and Gravel and see if they are willing to get you just what you need with their next shipment.

HI Congo,

Hey I could be interested in buying some dark sand / fine gravel. Let me know what quntity your buying. My tank I am buying bits for is 5x2. I already have 40kgs of "medium size" dark gravel. The aquatic clay is cheap for a 10l bag, but I think I may need about another 40kgs of substrate.

John

My tank is 8 x 3 and has 500kg of gravel in it. If yours is 5 x 2 then you'll need about 200kg of gravel (about 41.6%). There is 25 kg's in a bag. My tank used 20 bags so you'll need about 8 bags. This will give a depth of 75-120mm if sloped from back to front.

I looked at that stuff, it has molybdenum and copper in it, dont these two elements counteract each other?

There is only one place in NZ that has a natural shortage of molybdenum and thats Waiuku. Everywhere else its in overabundance.

I looked at that stuff, it has molybdenum and copper in it, dont these two elements counteract each other?

There is only one place in NZ that has a natural shortage of molybdenum and thats Waiuku. Everywhere else its in overabundance.

It might be as you say but it works great. Moly and copper are needed as trace elements for plants anyway. As long as anything leaching out is in very low concentrations it should be fine. I've never had an issue with it. Anyone who's seen the way the plants grow in my tank will vouch for that... There are many others in town using the same stuff with no problems and excelent plant growth.