Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Crypts Melting?

Featured Replies

Do crypts melt through having tannins in the water or even soft water in general? Last week I added some blackwater from my driftwood soaking tank into my main tank after adding some ember tetras and this morning I noticed that half of my crypts have started melting. I did add the water in cold but thats what I always do and the crypts have been fine, the only difference being the water had tannins in it. So I was just wondering if there was any association between tannins and crypt melt?

Last month I put 2 large oak twigs in my 54L tank, and within 2 weeks the water was brown with tannin, and all the crypts melted. They are only just starting to pop up again. I think it's because the wood is softening the water and probably altering the nitrates.

  • Author

I am well aware that crypts are very touchy, its not the first melt I have had. I am pretty gutted as they were really starting to get going. Is there anything I can do to stop the melt further? Would a waterchange with tap water rather than softened water help?

Nah, just leave them as they are and get rid of the melted leaves as you see them.

Leave the roots and they will come back and look different to what they are at the moment.

I have gnashed my teeth many times over melted crypts, but there is nothing to be done about it..... they just do what they want to do. :fshi:

I have gnashed my teeth many times over melted crypts, but there is nothing to be done about it..... they just do what they want to do. :fshi:

Unfortunately I have to agree.

  • 1 month later...

I feel your pain my Crypt was looking great on the weekend and so was my sword plant but all of a sudden they are melting The only thing I did was top up some water in the tank and add 2 green cory cats. Really frustrating as the swords was looking amazing. Good luck with your crypt. Many years ago I had a 4 ft tank and the bottom was completely covered in crypt it all started melting i pulled all the leaves out then decided to pull all the roots out. I then threw it all away John Gilliland ...a very good fish keeper in his time told me they grow back by then it was to late lol.

I have had a lot of plants melt over the years but think I have solved it mostly.

1. light- use lights that are 6300K and 2700K together as stronger light will kill them

2. Keep pH around 7 as acid will melt them

3. Use substrate fertiliser such as flourite.

Hope this helps :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.