steel stand advice

redracer77

I am about to build a steel stand for my new tank.

Tank dimensions 1500l x 700w x 600h

Stand will be 700h max maybe lower.

I have 35x35mm x 1.2mm square tubing,

it will have 8 uprights and 5 front to back spans with some diagonal bracing.

Does that all sound ok? Any suggestions?

IMO 35x35 is probably a bit thin and bendy for the 700 front-to-back span, and the wall thickness is a bit on the thin side. IIRC my stand for my 180x75x60 tank was made from 40x40x3mm, maybe Hovmoller can confirm as he owns it now.

you may find 6 legs will be enough but better with 8

are you welding yourself?,

i have always found it better to tack it all together then weld joins in opposite sequence to avoid distorting the stand

No a friend who is a good welder will be doing it,

IMO 35x35 is probably a bit thin and bendy for the 700 front-to-back span, and the wall thickness is a bit on the thin side. IIRC my stand for my 180x75x60 tank was made from 40x40x3mm, maybe Hovmoller can confirm as he owns it now.

That is my main concern, I am planning on using 20mm chipboard flooring for the top of the stand to disperse the load.

Neither will make up for a lack of rigidity in the top of the stand. I'd use something thick like 17-19mm H3 plywood to help distribute the load onto the steel, but don't expect it to make up for an underbuilt stand. I'd use the 35x35x1.2mm stuff for the diagonals, but probably not much more. It may be ok for the legs if you use enough of them.

I will get some more steel and heavier wall for the top lengths and spans and use the 1.2mm for the legs and add a few more maybe 12 legs, 2 on each corner.

I have half a sheet of flooring chip, that is why I was going to use it, but can get ply if it will be better.

Is poly best under the tank or closed cell foam? I am having trouble finding poly that isn't 40-50mm thick

I will get some more steel and heavier wall for the top lengths and spans and use the 1.2mm for the legs and add a few more maybe 12 legs, 2 on each corner.

I have half a sheet of flooring chip, that is why I was going to use it, but can get ply if it will be better.

Is poly best under the tank or closed cell foam? I am having trouble finding poly that isn't 40-50mm thick

Ply handles the odd spill much better than most chipboard. But if you seal it really well it shouldn't make much of a difference.