April 29, 201412 yr comment_549511 I did a water change on a tank with 3 Guppies, one Ramshorn snail and 3+ of what I think are Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Afterwords, in the bucket I noticed these tiny things sitting on the bottom. They're smaller than a pin head. Does anyone have a guess as to what they might be? Report
April 29, 201412 yr comment_549517 I did a water change on a tank with 3 Guppies, one Ramshorn snail and 3+ of what I think are Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Afterwords, in the bucket I noticed these tiny things sitting on the bottom. They're smaller than a pin head. Does anyone have a guess as to what they might be? I think they're bubbles. Very good picture of them though. Report
April 30, 201412 yr Author comment_549526 That was suggested to me as well, but they roll around the bottom of the bucket freely, and I've tried to pop/disrupt some and they're definitely solid. Time will tell I guess - my bet is on Trumpet snail eggs, but the tank is only 3-4 weeks old so I'd be surprised that there are so many of them. Report
April 30, 201412 yr comment_549527 That was suggested to me as well, but they roll around the bottom of the bucket freely, and I've tried to pop/disrupt some and they're definitely solid. Time will tell I guess - my bet is on Trumpet snail eggs, but the tank is only 3-4 weeks old so I'd be surprised that there are so many of them. Trumpet snails are livebearers. No eggs. Ramshorns lay in jelly blob clusters And Guppies are also livebearers so no eggs. I'd also expect eggs to be a much more uniform size. So... :dunno: Iunno. Report
April 30, 201412 yr Author comment_549528 I'd forgotten about Trumpets being livebearers! I'll just have to see if anything turns up I guess. For fun, here's a pic of some Ramshorn eggs that I believe the snail that I have atm came from: Report
April 30, 201412 yr comment_549531 I'd forgotten about Trumpets being livebearers! I'll just have to see if anything turns up I guess. For fun, here's a pic of some Ramshorn eggs that I believe the snail that I have atm came from: Woah! How big are your ramshorns? I have brown ones and their eggs are way too small to see (well, I've had them for years and have never seen eggs, lol). My bladder snails lay eggs in clumps like this though - was really cute at first, not so cute when they boom and there's jelly clumps everywhere! My photo isn't nearly as impressive as yours, though! No idea what the eggs are in the bucket though, sorry D: Report
April 30, 201412 yr Author comment_549532 They're regular sized, it's just a very zoomed in picture To give you an idea of the sort of magnification the lens I was using is capable of, here's a good example: Report
April 30, 201412 yr comment_549537 They're regular sized, it's just a very zoomed in picture To give you an idea of the sort of magnification the lens I was using is capable of, here's a good example: Haha, I figured they weren't giant snail eggs Just can't believe you can see them! What kind of lens are you using to get that kind of magnification (is it the regular 1:1?). The eggs are just stunning to see up close. Report
April 30, 201412 yr Author comment_549543 Daphnia is livebearing though :b (not that they would be in the tank in any case) Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.