Goldfish tank

nudge

My little girl came home with a goldfish bowl and goldfish. After many lengthy conversations I have convinced her that goldfish don't like living in bowls and we have got a 2nd hand 60L tank for bubbles.

I know squat about goldfish, I was thinking of getting a small sponge filter for the tank or if anyone has any better suggestions for a cheap filter. Tank is 660x300x300. Am i ok doing 20L wc x2 per week as i have read goldfish produce a lot of waste.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Goldfish are incredibly messy fish so you are really going to have to watch out for the ammonia spike which will happen, probably in 4-7 days. I really don't know what to suggest for a cheap but effective filter, possibly an under gravel one might work quite well along with the water changes. Its great you have gotten a much better sized tank for it. :)

Only other thing I can suggest is that the type of food it should be eating depends on the type of goldfish. If its a fancy one then it will have its swim bladder fairly tightly compressed and will need sinking rather than floating food (flakes).

Try posting in the coldwater section perhaps.

This is a general comment as you have given the fish a decent sized home :)

The trouble with goldfish is that to give them a chance of a healthy life each fish requires about 50 litres of water. Goldfish can live 10 - 15 years in optimum conditions which means enough space, good food, good water. They can get really really large ie 30cm.

Are we talking about a comet or something fancy? Comets really need to be in a pond in my opinion.

Under gravels are not good as goldfish can dig up the plates and it gets messy.

A box filter in the corner would work well and easy to see when it needs cleaning. Otherwise, have you any HOB filters lying about?

Find a local waterway that has good clean oxygen weed and keep adding fresh (the goldfish will destroy/eat it).

How big is the fish? If it is still small, you can cut back on those water changes. I would do 10L (one bucket) weekly.

I know the goldfish is wrong for the tank, i am trying to convince her to swap it for some type of tetras but for the meantime bubbles seems to be staying.

He/she is small bout 4cm looks like some kind of fantail. I will see if i can dig up an old hob filter, until i get that sorted will 2 x 20% wc with a gravel vac every week be ok?

where did the goldfish come from?

A few years ago, my daughter did something similar, arrived home with a little goldfish from her friends pond and a bowl to pout it in.

Realizing that a bowl is no place for a goldfish we soon re homed it with the promise to replace it with tropicals... several years and 4 tanks later we have an array of tropicals to care for!

I used goldfish to cycle my African tank filter then removed the goldfish and turned on the heater. As far as I know the bacteria were all fine.

As you are in Auckland I can't see the temperature difference great enough to cause any major problem.