Fish flashing on rocks etc, need help with what medication

Ismart120

Hi

Noticed some of the fish have started rubbing up on the ornaments occasionally; the big sev has done this for a while but seeing he was only doing it on a smooth pot I had thought it was a territory thing. Have noticed a few other fish doing it today though so thinking it might be something else now

Can't see anything on the fish externally, and apart from the EBJD who had never eaten well when I'm there, everyone seems to be eating happily (Flakes, bloodworms, pellets etc). No deaths or fish looking unwell, no strange behaviour apart from a few more flashing on rocks and weekly 25% min water changes. Anything that I should look out for specifically? (Housing sitting at the moment and I forgot to test parameters when I fed them before - should be able to check these tomorrow)

Big question though is, what should I look at treating it with? I'm assuming a parasite at this stage due to lack of evidence for anything else. I have a ghost knife, fire eel, angelicus loaches and a pictus in there, and I know there are some treatments that need to be diluted/avoided with some of these guys (scaleless etc). Otherwise, just the cichlids (Sev, EBJD, Con), some serpae tetras and SAEs and a BN or two.

Any thoughts/help would be gratefully received

With no visible signs of Oodinium or Ichthyo I would suggest they have Gyrodactylus, Dactylogyrus, Cichlidogyrus or Tetraonchus. Droncit (not Drontal !) for example (or other products with Praziquantel) @ a rate of 2 Mg/L for 12h and a 80% water change after that should do the trick. Repeat after a week due to possible worm eegs hatching which aren't controlled by Prazi.

Good luck,

JaSa

Nope, treated successfully with prazi in my tank with scaleless fish and it worked well. Wondering why using droncit though and not just the liquid prazi you can buy? Is it a cost thing - I know the liquid stuff is more expensive, but very easy to use. If you do go liquid, put it in the tank in front of your filter outlet as otherwise it ends up in white clumps. And don't be concerned that it looks cloudy and creates bubbles - it's normal!

Wondering why using droncit though and not just the liquid prazi you can buy?

I thought Droncit might be easier to get on a weekend through a Vet then the "proper" Prazi from the possible closed LFS, that's all...

JaSa