Urgent having issues

glennn

Ok Have moved my fish today and currently have them in a holding tank (300 litre) moving large tank tomorrow and going to swap them back over

My Plec looks all good as well as the corries but my loaches arnt looking good, floating around the tank, laying on bottom/side/ kind of wedged in loach hidy holes but this isnt normal behavior

Ph is @ 6.5in tank, tap water is the same

Ammonia 0

Nitrite <0.3

Nitrate between 5 and 10

Not too sure what to do, I could do a water change but water chemisty would stay the same!

Half of the water thats in the tank is old water and half new water from here

Anybody got any ideas please??

glen

If you have nitrite then when you do a water change the water chemistry won't stay the same. Nitrite is toxic to fish so you will have to get it back to zero. Do a 50% water change and make sure you add water conditioners to get rid of any chlorine or heavy metals. I assume you do have a filter running on the container? Did you acclimatise the fish when you added them. What was the pH of the previous tank and what temperature is the water at now compared to the original temperature of the tank they came from?

Cheers Adrienne, Have water draining as we speak,

Yeah I have my 2 fx5s running albeit turned down some what

I did acclimatise but maybe not enough, Temp is the same from both tanks but dont know the previous ph as it was a sweet stable setup and stopped checking

It is highly unlikely that your tap water is actually pH 6.5 as with the water that acidic it would cause dezincification of brass (all your taps would be dripping), corrosion of copper (your hot water cylinder and any copper pipes would be full of pin holes and water would be running all over the floor) and the phones at the council office would have melted with people ringing up to complain. Water supply authorities keep the water slightly alkaline for this reason. I would suggest you invest in a better pH testing kit.