FW live rock (african cichlid tank) can be used to cycle SW

samuel90

The problem with using rock/substrate out of a fw tank in a saltwater tank is the chance that it may have traces of copper in it, that's why I said on your other thread to just get new rock.

Naw I don't want to get new rock if I can avoid it, this was $50 lol If I fill a tub with boiling water + bleach, leave over night, then rinse thoroughly tomorrow would it be alright?

Naw I don't want to get new rock if I can avoid it, this was $50 lol

Good, so it clearly isn't much if it was that cheap.

If I fill a tub with boiling water + bleach, leave over night, then rinse thoroughly tomorrow would it be alright?

No. None of that will have any effect on the copper.

Same with the substrate. $50 is so cheap in the scheme of things, especially when it comes to marine. Try to cut to many corners and you will regret it in the long run.

ah oh well, so for the aquanano40 we are looking at how many kgs to cover the bottom?

Lol $50 on rock is expensive imo haha that is a shame, will try and get some from LFS tomorrow sometime then.

You clearly haven't priced marine equipment and livestock. :) I haven't checked prices lately, but before I shut mine down $50 would be a deposit on a fish.

Lol $50 on rock is expensive imo haha that is a shame, will try and get some from LFS tomorrow sometime then.

You clearly haven't priced marine equipment and livestock. :) I haven't checked prices lately, but before I shut mine down $50 would be a deposit on a fish.