Help - new discus laying on side

Michaelt

Hi all,

I've had three new discus arrive today by courier from Auckland, I'd say the courier co didn't quite read the fragile and this way up labels. The seller had done their job well but regrettably two of the bags had burst and the fish had only a few centimeters of water in their bags, and the heat packs were saturated.

Anyways, I'm having a panic attack as two of the three are laying on their sides at the bottom of the quarantine tank. All three were initially like it, but one has recovered, the other two are breathing, NAND will with a little help make it to the top of the tank where they are gasified air before taking a decidedly sideways dive back down.

I've read in a few forums this is often a sign of the shipping stress, and they will usually recover?

The tank they are in is at 28 degrees, it's a well established tank so cycle issues are fine. I've kept the lights off, curtains pulled and doors shut.

Question is, is it correct that this is ormal after a 15+ shipping journey, and is there anything I can do to help them or aid them in a more speedy recovery?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Michael

NAND will with a little help make it to the top of the tank where they are gasified air

What?

Probably not much to be done but make sure the tank is well aerated and maybe cover it to make it nice and dark to minimize stress for a day or so. A dose of stresscoat if you have some would help.

What?

Probably not much to be done but make sure the tank is well aerated and maybe cover it to make it nice and dark to minimize stress for a day or so. A dose of stresscoat if you have some would help.

Thanks Ira, I've put an additional bubbler in, lights are off. Do you think ambient light would be bad, not ideal for me to sit in a dark room but I'll make the sacrifice,or should I out a blanket or something over the tank do you think?

I ran out of stresscoat last week. Doh! I have done a thirty percent water change in hopes it might perk them up abit ;)

Thanks Ira, I've put an additional bubbler in, lights are off. Do you think ambient light would be bad, not ideal for me to sit in a dark room but I'll make the sacrifice,or should I out a blanket or something over the tank do you think?

I ran out of stresscoat last week. Doh! I have done a thirty percent water change in hopes it might perk them up abit ;)

I wouldn't have suggested another water change, they would already have had a shock to begin with when you moved them from the bags to the quarantine tank. Another one would be at best redundant, at worst additional stress.

Ahhhh I read it somewhere here. Shall I desist on those then? I've also read adding small amount of dissolved Epsom salt can help stressed fish, would that be a good or bad idea at this point? Or should I just leave them alone and cross my fingers they all right themselves without my interference/care?

Thanks

I would tend to leave them alone - they will be stressed enough. They will have been lying on their sides for quite a while if the bags burst earlier in their travels so may take a while for them to find the right way up again.

Thanks for the further wisdom. Unfortunately one passed I. The night, s/he was the weakest out of the bag, one appears to be swimming about reasonable happily this morning and the other has righted him/herself and is swimming around slowly but surely. Will leave the lights off today and perhaps cover with a towel to minimize any further shocks/disruptions. Thereafter, all digits crossed for the remaining two.

Thanks for your help :bggrn:

Just a quickie, beyonce and Tina ( one sang survivor and one was one), are doing better. Still enjoying their separate accommodations, swimming about and enjoying a wee stouch now and then. Did meth blue for a few days, plus applied directly as they developed a white cottony fungus, now treating with primafix, and all seems well on the mend, they even chomped on so e bloodworms today. Phew, the storm has passed. Thanks all for your words of wisdom. M