How to treat alkaline tap-water when doing water changes?

darcy

Okay, so I'm just in the process of (trying to) establish a new tank after not having had an aquarium for about 10 years...

I have the new tank in place and have been making sure that all the equipment still works. I'm using a Fluval 204 with bio-noods, and 300W heater... The substrate is about 30% Flourite, 70% grit (0.6mm-2.0mm). Water volume is around the 160L mark (890 x 390 footprint)

I did my first water check last night - something I should have done a couple days ago... and found that the pH was sitting around 7.5. For general community fish, by my current understanding, that's a bit high... I believe it should be more like 6.8. Hmm... maybe something in substrate or the rocks is making the water more alkaline? Time for a water change. Just for kicks I tested the tap-water... 7.5. Rats! Well at least it wasn't what I'd put in the tank.

What is a cost effective way of treating tap-water before adding to the tank when doing water changes? I have a 20L bucket for water changes, but in hind-sight it's near impossible to lift it up to the tank top... What options do I have? I'm not looking forward to having to treat 3-4 buckets of water with every change!

I'd certainly appreciate any advice in this area please!

Thanks

Darcy

PS: Photo of current setup attached... just because :) More plants tomorrow and a few starter fish next week once I'm happy with the conditions 2WZVZCg.jpg

A new tank can have ph fluctuations, put some plants in and wait awhile before testing. Fish can adapt to slow ph swings

That's reassuring... I'm still presented with a bit of a problem when doing 20% water changes though aren't I? If the tank pH is sitting at the high end of 6.5-7.0 (for community fish), and I'm adding 20% volume at 7.5 pH, unless I have something to buffer the water the pH is slowly (over multiple water changes) creep back up to 7.5(ish) - isn't it?. Actually, basic math... with each 20% water change it'll creep up to 7.1, from 7.0 pH. I guess that's not tooooo much of a change so long as it dropped back down to 7.0 before the next water change.

Not having kept fish for so long I'm just not sure how much of an effect pH will have on tank occupants... or quite how to deal with it practically.

Thanks

D.

The safe range is 6.8 - 7.5 in my opinion, not many fish really like acidic water. I'd be more concerned if I had 6.5 over 7.5.

I'd echo others and recommend leaving it. It is not that bad, I believe the tap water here in New Plymouth is around the 7.6 mark.

If you are still genuinely worried, options are:

* Mix RO water in with your tap water (you can get PureDew RO water from the supermarket for $7/10 litres).

* Put peatmoss in your filter

* Start dosing CO2 into your tank with either DIY CO2 or Flourish Excel.

* Add lots of driftwood to your tank

Hey thanks guys... Really appreciated. I popped out at lunch and grabbed a KH test kit, and some acidity buffer. Sounds like tap water where I am has about 0-1 dKH.

Thanks for the suggestions about driftwood and peatmoss. I was definitely planning to add a large piece in there once I found something I liked. Peat moss could be a good idea as well... I could put some below the filter wool.

Cheers guys, feeling a lot better about the situation now! :)

Add plants, a couple of fish and a bit of driftwood and wait for a week then check ph before adding anything else. Things will change as the tank cycles.

Thanks... I've got 50+ cuttings turning up tomorrow, and a few larger established plants. I'll pick up a small school of tetra's on the weekend... My wife is very keen on something that'll keep the wee boy entertained. :)

All public water supplies have a pH at least slightly over 7 as the water will cause dezincification of brass and corrosion of copper if it is acid. There are people down here breeding neons in tap water and the pH is about 7.2 and hardness about 45 mg/litre expressed as calcium carbonate. Most aquariums go a bit acid after a while with the waste products. I wouldn't worry about it. I think Coca Cola has a pH of 6.4

I just want to also second what everyone here is already saying.

I think your setup incl. water and everything you are planning sounds very good and I cannot see any problems with your water for community fish at all. My water also comes out of the tap at around 7.2 - 7.4 but settles around 7 in the tank because of driftwood and other organics.