Aquanano 40 Reef Log

Morcs

dymax xp30 skimmers also fit i ran my skimmer in the first chamber and had a custom built media rack in the second chamber i found this combo very effective. looks good so far tho what is that you have in the end chamber above the return pump?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dymax xp30 skimmers also fit i ran my skimmer in the first chamber and had a custom built media rack in the second chamber i found this combo very effective. looks good so far tho what is that you have in the end chamber above the return pump?

Thats not my tank! Cant get a pic of back of mine. I wanted a dymax xp30 but cant find one :-(

Skimmer in 1st chamber would seem to work better as water can bypass the 2nd chamber via the gap at the bottom which i never sealed up.

Nirtites are off the scale.

Ammonia still present. At least the cycle is showing some progress now.

Wondering whether i start my lights cycling at about 4 hours a day to get the diatom bloom over and done with, was kinda hoping my phosgard wouldve arrived first, but still waiting.

When nitrite hit zero is it advisable to do a WC? Or leave it and wait for some denitrifying bacteria to begin their slow colonization?

Stocking plan almost set:

Pair of occys

cleaner shrimp

firefish

or have 2 shrimp instead of the firefish. mmm.

Finally recieved my hydrometer and my sg was waaaay off. Had to change about 10% SW and refill with RO to bring it down. Might have to start using my work scales (measure to 0.00Xg) to get my mixed water just right!

And i now have enough purigen and phosgaurd to last approximately 7,200 days :P

unnamed.jpg

Finally ordered a WP10 today! As i was ordering through amazon (got some other stuff and free shipping), its 3-6 weeks away though :(

And while i was there, ordered a new light unit. Just after more blue (the finnex is a plant unit). The wave-point HO led 12'' clamp on, 16W with 10 blues, 6x 10000k whites should give me the capability to grow softies.

wp10_logo.jpg

micro-sun-led-clamp-light-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Seems pretty quick to have fish in there?

Params had all settled nicely. with no fish you have to keep feeding the bacteria ya know ;) lot easier to just have a small bioload whilst the tank matures.

Wanna go halves on that Purigen? :bggrn:

But with this much i never have to go through the hassle of recharging it, and then having to replace the bags! :bggrn:

Not even using it yet, still waiting for a couple of 'the bag' to arrive from overseas.

WP10 arrived this morning! What a piece of kit for only $70! Power supply was no good so had to hunt for a 24v 1amp unit and cost $35.. Fish street offered to send out a replacment but I didn't want to wait!

The different functions are awesome. Most are really strong in a tank this size, else mode is random and works great but almost pins the clowns down in one side of the tank!

Got some good waves going on though!

Check out my vid

WP10: http://youtu.be/N6ahyCVfaME

Build list for anyone interested to see its not too expensive to get started as most individual items aren't pricey,can space out the purchases of non essential stuff whilst cycling. Live stock is a different story depending on how far you go, I'll cover that when its fully stocked with fish and soft corals.

Aquanano 40 with stock 55w heater and 500l return pump. $139

Stand, used stand from trade me $30

Finned 16inch fugeray marine+ led light $90

Resin sk300 power skimmer $45

Egg crate for dig media rack $20

2 x seachem the bag media bags $25

500ml phosgaurd and 500ml purigen (heaps...) $60

Fluval sea hydrometer $20

7kg dry rock $80

4kg aragonite sand $12

Wp10 wavemaker $75

Glass thermometer $4

Small mag float $28

Api saltwater test kit $40

Foods $30

Long scraper tool $20

Filter wool $10

Puredew RO water for initial fill $35

2kg red sea salt for initial fill $22 (obviously didn't use all)

Total $785

20l mixing container $20

400lph pump for mixing $20

50w heater for mixing $20

Thermometer for mixing $4

Water changing equipment total $64

4kg red sea salt (3 months of water changes at 10% per week) $35

Pure dew RO water for 3 months water changes $42

Pure dew RO water for top ups same period $42

Total water change cost for 3 months $129

= $11 per week

Maintenance currently

10‰ weekly water change, siphon, clean glass, empty skimmer cup

Top up every 2 days

Cleaner skimmer, return pump and power head monthly.