Whistling frogs with no eyes??

beckyboo

Hey everyone, I have some whistling frogs that were wild caught as tadpoles approx 25 of them. The tadpoles all seemed normal and healthy but as they have morphed into frogs I have noticed that I've got a few with no eyes and a couple with 1 eye only. I was wondering what would cause these deformities. I looked high and low for these frogs/tadpoles in a place that used to abundant with them and now there's very few of them in the wild. It upsets me a bit that my children can't experience the joys of what I did when I was younger (looking for tadpoles in the wild).

I'm a lover of frogs and think they need to be looked after regardless of wether they are native or not. These species need to be preserved.

Hey everyone, I have some whistling frogs that were wild caught as tadpoles approx 25 of them. The tadpoles all seemed normal and healthy but as they have morphed into frogs I have noticed that I've got a few with no eyes and a couple with 1 eye only.

That's what happens when a whistling tree frog has an affair with a whistling cave frog.

Ira's an expert lol.

however ..

That is sad. My guess either parasites or hungry tank mates. possibly hungry tadpoles or predatory insects. Sadly I would lean toward parasite damage as tapoles whilst developing. Then again you should of noticed the tadpoles with no eyes?

Weird and wonderful world we live in. Not everything is perfect as we perceived as kids.

I'm not saying this is the reason but it is an interesting read: http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/facultysite ... tions.html

Very interesting read. I'm leaning towards parasite damage after reading this.

The frogs with 1 eye are making an effort to feed but are definitely finding it difficult.

I think I may have to euthanise the no eyes as they are going to starve otherwise (any suggestions how to do it nicely?)

I'd like to know if these parasites are still in the tank or will they die without another host to go to? And would all the frogs have it even if though they don't all show signs of it?

Thanks for all the replies :)

Just 1 treatment?

Think I did a few, used the whole bottle. Was trying to eliminate the free swimming things that kept appearing in the tank. Never succeeded. Was almost like the frogs were hosts, however the test wasn't 100% proof.

I suspect more likely bent from genetic cause. However have seen eyes missing and leg deformities ages ago, that looked like parasite damage.