Help with tank lighting please..T5, or LED

Baroness

Hi, Ive been absent a while and my tank has been packed away.

Now Ive set it up again, and the light hood is blown.

The tank is a Juwel Rio 180. I bought light hood and it stopped working, returrned it, got a replacement which also stopped working.... I faffed around too much and now the light hood is outside of warranty, so it cant be replaced.

Im looking at buying another lighthood ($240 + shipping)

OR

replacing the ballast in my lighthood... seems to be a common problem in the Juwels...theres a tutorial online how to replace....The light is a sealed unit and cant be taken apart easily, needs to be cut open and glued back up....I havent costed the price of replacement ballast yet, but replacement tubes are $60 each. sigh.

OR

using the existing unit and running LED strip lights inside....again I havent costed, but have read you need to spend more for a better result

OR

retrofitting the existing lighthood to run T5 LED tubes.... initial cost might be around $120? from a quick search, but tubes are cheaper, cheaper to run and need less replacement....I dont know what type of light tube I need to run either???

Im running the Rio 180 on the standard filter it came with as a coldwater setup. I want to have a planted tank with a school of WCMM.

My husband is Mr. Fix it and is quite happy to build, wire up whatever is the best solution.

Basically I want the cheapest, easiest solution, haha.... my hubby is not happy about the $$$ spent on the original light hood for it to cark it after 3 months and the same for the second one.

Another option I was contemplating was a different light hood made to fit on the Juwel lid.

Any help appreciated....

Well scratch that post and the hours of research I did into different light systems...

I found an article on Juwel lights saying how they wont work if one tube is blown, so I took the bulbs out, and the endcaps off, and decided to interchange all my bulbs ( I have 4) to see if it was just a blown bulb.

replacing the 2 bulbs I had first to try them, and bugga me, the friggen thing just lit up!!!!

I have tryed and tryed to get that blimmen thing to go with no luck.....and then it just starts.

I very carefully removed the bulbs - to put the end caps back on, reassembled it all and BINGO!!!

a Juwel lighthood that works. YAY!!

Hubby will be pleased, now I only have to buy expensive replacement Juwel tubes LOL.

Sorry to waste your time if you read all this. :facepalm: