Marlborough Hospice tank

Caryl

Our club (mainly SallyJ) has looked after the Hospice tank for quite a few years now. They called today to say they were having a problem with cannibalism and could I come and have a look?

Get there to find someone (and nobody knows who, it just appeared) had added this...

silvershark_zps9ecdf1c9.jpg

Needless to say, it has been munching its way through the inhabitants. There used to be 30+ black widows (although, to be fair, they are all now quite old and some could be natural attrition) but now there's only about 6. There is 1 penguin tetra left

DSCF4857_zpsa85b1c54.jpg

and I discovered a Bolivian butterfly ram

fish2013_zps60ce62e8.jpg

and this fish which I am embarrassed to say I am not sure what it is. I thought it was a kissing gourami but someone else has suggested a severum

DSCF4853_zpsc23d0444.jpg

To top it all off the nurse said how her favourite was the little one that usually sat on the log. Bristlenose, I thought. No... :roll:

plec_zpsf308b06e.jpg

So, if anyone knows of someone who wants a silver shark, or gourami/severum let me know or the shark will be whacked on the head :-?

Yup, that's a pink kissing gourami, definitely not a gold severum.

I don't think I've heard of silver sharks being particularly aggressive or eating other fish, especially if the black widows are as big as it looks in your pic. Maybe harassing them to death, but even then my silver sharks never even took notice of any other fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone is commenting on how much better the tank has been since we re-homed the silver shark and kissing gourami. Staff say the tank is much appreciated and they often wheel patients down and park them in front of the tank so they can sit and absorb the now peaceful scene.

Many thanks to Shayne, in Wellington, for sending over more angels to add to our numbers. The staff were all very excited and kept coming to have a look.

Here they are waiting for their temperature to equalise...

Wgtnangelsbeingacclimated_zps7d9def3a.jpg

And here is the tank...

newangelsaddedFeb2014_zps24b1c6c4.jpg