American Flag Fish

alexyay

Okay so I've been planning on getting these for a few weeks (going to get them on Sunday) - but I guess I just want some opinions to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake. They will be going in this tank, which sits at 25-26 degrees

120L

2x Thicklipped Gouramis

5x Threadfin rainbows

Those are the only top dwellers I have, mid dwellers are 3x otos

Also contains -

1x banjo catfish

3x hara hara cats

5x kuhli loaches

5x red whiptail cats

1x L129 pleco

It's well planted but has a few algae issues, but mostly only green spot at the moment (I can make it so that hair algae or BBA grows for them though). Running an Aqua One 1000 canister, but not on full flow as it upsets the fish D:

I've read mixed opinions - I plan on getting 1 male and three females (read that they prefer groups?

Will the terrorize my fish and eat my plants? What experiences have you guys had with them?

Also quick question, we had a male killifish alone in an 18L and added three females (one is temporary), also it is holding a couple of other fish (quiet bottom dwellers) - the tank is at 22 degrees and I just did a 100% WC yesterday. It's not my tank so I don't know what the levels were before I did the WC (as I was in a different city!) but apparently he was looking a bit stressed not long after the females showed up (was really happy the first three days, now has fins clamped etc). Unfortunately the original owner thought he was just looking lazy and didn't know the clamped fins weren't a good sign.

He's looking lethargic, not swimming, pale-ish, clamped fins.

I presume the stress isn't due to bad water conditions because of the 100% WC

He's in a breeder net and hasn't perked up, any suggestions as to what could be stressing him out? Would females really stress out the male? :P

Edit: Killie is a aphyosemion australe "orange"

How old is it? They don't live very long, parcticularly at higher temperatures. They will do quite well at 20-22 deg C.

I don't know, only had it for a month or so, he came from HFF (I've had two females from them die by the way, one still living but the ones I got from chch are a lot healthier), so it all depends on when they come in. I just thought it was odd timing due to the new arrival of the fish.

If your Christchurch ones were from pauljones he sells his when they are still young. Imported ones can be getting on a bit. They will breed pretty young, in fact it is best to breed them as soon as they can.

Yup they're from him - they're pretty big and fat compared to the skinny little HFF ones I got.

Because there was peat moss in it I imagine the parameters were different, I had been hoping that two days after he'd be looking better though :c

Killies do best on live food. Do you have peat in the water or him? Most people use peat or salt with Nothobranchius sp. rather than australe. The Nothos tend to get velvet.

I was told peat was recommended for them (and to keep the pH neutral-ish) - I have told Dad to start on bloodworms as it turns out he was only feeling flakes (mine at home get white worms and love them!) I'll see whether he'll eat any blood worms tonight (he didn't seem to eat the flakes I gave him this morning)

He's still not looking very well. Sometimes tries to stay upright but he just goes upside down and sits in the same place - if I touch him he swims away but he doesn't eat. The future doesn't look bright for him, looking at the size we got him in comparison to the replacement male we just got, we're thinking HFF got them in quite old (the new guy is about 1/2 his size) - we've only had him for a few months but old age is a possibility. All other fish are looking happy.

RE: American flagfish, three weeks of wanting them, I finally have some :happy2: they're a wee bit aggressive with the plants and a bit boisterous but hopefully they won't terrorize anything/anyone. I've given them some string algae to see if they like that.

Will they generally eat flake food?

How long do you guys think they take to reach full size?

Is there any particular algae people find they like best and whether I should be growing it if possible? (infusoria is easy to grow but the rest require changing my tank conditions around a bit).

...will they chew on my green spot algae? Because that'd be lovely (I'm not expecting them to do so lol)

Also, instead of making a new thread - are there ANY fish that will eat cyanobacteria? It's someone else's tank, but it's 450L (really hard to black out) and is outside - lighting is totally out of our control.

Are you referring to the price of the killies? I have no idea what Adrienne was posting about D:

$9.90 from HFF, which isn't bad for an uncommon fish.

Yeah I'm working on finding Dad a wavemaker to increase the water flow - so far that seems like our only option. Not sure how much the angels and gouramis will appreciate it though :c