Suggestions for small community fish please

kiwi101

We are starting a new tank, first one ever. Have just sized up from our original plan of a 40l to a 90l. There are endless questions, so thanks in advance for your time :)

The tank is primarily for my 11yr old to enjoy, so the fish choices are his so far and ultimately he has final say in terms of species as long as they are compatible and in our range of knowledge. He is very keen to learn and wants to keep to only a small number of species in as close to ideal size groups as possible, esp if that will mean we get to see more of their natural interactions

So far the longterm plan is

Neons (12 or so)

Some Corys, - we like the Sterbai or Jullii so far but weren't sure of best combo to get. ie 4-6 of one Cory species and similar size group of another, or do we stick with one species? What is a good group size to make the most of interactions?

A group of another small species (maybe a different Tetra like Glowlight)

The original idea was a Betta but I'm still not convinced it's a good idea - Swordtails and/or some specific favourite colour/pattern Guppies are another possibility instead unless someone can suggest a more appropriate option?

What size group is appropriate for Guppies? Swords are 1 male to 2-3 females?

As I understand it, as a general rule we should avoid mixing Swords and Guppies with Bettas. So we have been basing the plan on one or the other.

We've looked at Otos and BN but are not convinced we can do a BN justice sizewise and the Otos don't appeal visually.

Obviously this is longterm as we have only just added our first 4 Neons and will need to give them some weeks to settle and water to adjust.

While we start with the Neons we have them in the 40l and are researching maybe planting something in the 90l ready to transition fish over as well as setting up the tank as well as possible with decent cover for everyone.

Can anyone suggest a suitable beginner plant?

Are there any specific petshops we should go to or avoid in the Wgtn region?

Thank you so much for your time and patience :)

Hi, generally the cory will stick with their own groupwise, unless its feeding time. Neons and betta are not always compatible. Glowlights require a minimum of 5 to school. A bristlenose plec would be fine in a 90 litre or you can get pitbull plecs which are small but not sure if there are any in the shops or a dwarf plec like a chocolate zebra which reaches 10cm. BN are very good at keeping green and brown algae under check as are otos although they prefer brown. They are more likely to be seen in day time than the fancy/dwarf plecs. Guppies - 1 male to a minimum of 2 females.

Plantwise - a lot depends on your lighting but if you have a look here - http://www.fnzas.org.nz (this is the website that this forum is part of). On the homepage go to the plants heading and you will get quite a good idea of the plants and their requirements. Click on the image for full information. Something like cabomba or ambulia will grow steadily and to multiply it you just break the steam in half and replant the top bit. The bottom piece will bush out where it was broken off. Provides good cover for livebearers fry.

Hope this helps. Good to see all the research going in to this tank :)

Hi, generally the cory will stick with their own groupwise, unless its feeding time. Neons and betta are not always compatible. Glowlights require a minimum of 5 to school. A bristlenose plec would be fine in a 90 litre or you can get pitbull plecs which are small but not sure if there are any in the shops or a dwarf plec like a chocolate zebra which reaches 10cm. BN are very good at keeping green and brown algae under check as are otos although they prefer brown. They are more likely to be seen in day time than the fancy/dwarf plecs. Guppies - 1 male to a minimum of 2 females.

Plantwise - a lot depends on your lighting but if you have a look here - http://www.fnzas.org.nz (this is the website that this forum is part of). On the homepage go to the plants heading and you will get quite a good idea of the plants and their requirements. Click on the image for full information. Something like cabomba or ambulia will grow steadily and to multiply it you just break the steam in half and replant the top bit. The bottom piece will bush out where it was broken off. Provides good cover for livebearers fry.

Hope this helps. Good to see all the research going in to this tank :)

Thanks!

I have seen Pitbull plecs locally so will look into them a bit more since we can maybe see one in the flesh.

The more we read the more i go off Bettas for us, Swords and Guppies seem nice and are def colourful!

I'll look into plants now, thanks for the link :)

Big Platies would be a nicer choice than swordies for that size tank, they are less aggressive and don't get as big as swordtails (normally). There are some nice platies around atm. I would stick to one sp. of cory.

Is 4-6 the right min size for a group of corys?

Platies, check. similar group size/make up as guppies and swords? 1 male/2-3 females min?

We're looking at cherry barbs or another tetra as the 2nd small schooling fish.

Thanks

yeah, just males would be a better choice, smaller, more colourful.

cherry's are awesome, (although i did meet some demon cherry barbs once :facepalm: )

I like the black phantoms, red phantoms or the lemon tetras, all easy to keep, Cheap, relatively peaceful and colourful.

there are heaps of similar species to so have a hunt and a read up.