active carbon in substrate??

binu

hi frnds ..a small question ..

i was setting up a nano tank for my fighter ..its mainly a spawning tank ..

i added sand from lake as substrate ..

i found a used bag of active carbon and white colour porous stones ..it all came in a pack which says active carbon .. so thought to add on top of my substrate ..

is it a stupid idea ?? now m worried it ll kill my fish :(

as it was a used carbon will it make any change to my water ???

Having bred fighters before I would think that you should realise that putting sand in the bottom of a tank will make the males job an awful lot harder, having to pick up eggs and any fry off the surface to place them back up the top.

I take it this is a second hand tank if the media that comes with it is used? Active carbon - well all carbon is black - if it is used and wasn't used by you previously I would chuck it, you don't know what it has been used for.

White porous stones - once again if you have not used them previously - you won't know whether they are limestone chips which will raise the pH or something like purigen.

What sort of filter is it that you are using that is both suitable for primarily a breeding tank and can hold this sort of media?

thank you for the fast reply adriene ..this active carbon ..i used it in my filters long time before ..so not from any other place ..

can be limestone in active carbon mix??

as this tank is in my main room ..thought of puting some substrate to keep it look gud ..

i use sponge filter .

this active carbon was fluval brand i used to use in my canister before ....but was white stones also in it ...can it be limestone by any chance??

Carbon is black so the white is not carbon. I don't know what it is.

Carbon is used to 'polish' the water however when it is full, it can discharge any muck back in to the tank so needs to be replaced regularly, or is used to removed medications from the water.