Winter Power Bills

aaron11

Hi guys how did you get on in the winter with your power bills with your fish tanks

I am running 3 tanks, a 3 foot and a 2 foot and a half round tank, same as before

Power was 160 in the winter with power shop and now about 120 and then 100 in the summer

Would those tanks use the extra $60 in winter??

I dont think so aye as the hot water would use more, I used a dehmifier for a bit

No electric heating gas and open fire.

Your ideas and bill if you dont mind sharing

I turned my tanks down to 25 is that ok

It would depend how cold your house gets when you don't have heating. The heaters have to work against the ambient air temperature outside the tank, as the tanks are effectively working as a heater for your house. If you have your house constantly heated, then no it shouldn't be the tanks. If you let the temperature of the house drop a lot, then yes it could.

Do keep in mind that powershop change the price of electricity during the year. Winter is the most expensive with summer being the cheapest. It's about a 4c / unit difference for me with powershop.

It would depend how cold your house gets when you don't have heating. The heaters have to work against the ambient air temperature outside the tank, as the tanks are effectively working as a heater for your house. If you have your house constantly heated, then no it shouldn't be the tanks. If you let the temperature of the house drop a lot, then yes it could.

Do keep in mind that powershop change the price of electricity during the year. Winter is the most expensive with summer being the cheapest. It's about a 4c / unit difference for me with powershop.

Hi ya thank you for the info, I see i had this thread last yeah, and Powershop units were upto 29 cents this winter but that includes everything

My powerbills have dropped since I joined them

Lounge is always warm from fire so can discount that thank haha. rest of house use gas heater in hall way costly but keeps us warm

I think you get too the point with your fish where you wonder if its worth it to have them

I only have one 4ft tank in the lounge and it is enclosed on 3 sides by a wall unit. The lounge is kept warm although it can drop to 15 overnight sometimes (less often now we are double glazed). Our power bills don't vary much between winter and summer as we use the air cons year round to both heat and cool. I suspect water heating may go up a bit as we have longer, hotter, showers in winter 8)

Tanks in a well heated, insulated, home shouldn't make any difference to your power bill in winter.

You could always buy a power meter from bunnings / mitre 10 that you can put on your tanks to measure how much power they're using.

My current house is quite cold (full of gaps from the earthquakes), so my 450L marine tank uses about $40 / month in winter (including lights).

You could always buy a power meter from bunnings / mitre 10 that you can put on your tanks to measure how much power they're using.

My current house is quite cold (full of gaps from the earthquakes), so my 450L marine tank uses about $40 / month in winter (including lights).

Hi yes mate thats on my list

Mine must use about 30 bucks then coz my 3 tanks would equal yr one, not that bad when you consider the enjoyment you get out of it

I figured my marine tank used about $60-70/month. That was mostly the 500 watts of lighting.