Meal worms

camtang

• 2 months later...
How do you change out the old/eaten oatmeal for new stuff? It looks like mine is all but eaten so time for some fresh stuff.

Thanks

I'd use a sieve or colander to filter out all the really fine stuff into a bucket, dump the worms, beetles, uneaten oatmeal back into the original container and top up with more oatmeal/whatever food. Keep the fine stuff a few weeks somewhere safe because it will be full of eggs, when they've hatched sieve them out and toss them in the main container.

I'd use a sieve or colander to filter out all the really fine stuff into a bucket, dump the worms, beetles, uneaten oatmeal back into the original container and top up with more oatmeal/whatever food. Keep the fine stuff a few weeks somewhere safe because it will be full of eggs, when they've hatched sieve them out and toss them in the main container.

Cool thanks, was thinking a sieve as well but I would of turfed out the old stuff. Thanks for the tip.

oats a right pita, stick to bran as much easier to work with.

mould is from lack of air flow, too much moisture, and or not enough worms to sustain a happy balance. mealworms have a happy place to you know :slfg:

Will use up my oats and then get some brans thanks. The mould has now stopped since I changed the lid. All learning curves going on in this house.

I think the yeast was just to boost nutrients in bedding. Seemed to help, but think it was expensive to use in bulk.

Banana for a moisture source, dunno why used that prob just using up kitchen scraps :dunno: .

Can use potato or carrot sliced up aswel. Go lightly though as don't want to over do it as that often results in mites.

I use bran from the stock food shop--it is cheaper, some use bran and wheat germ. The wharehouse have 3 sizes of mesh cake protectors that make good seives of the right gauge and they fit neatly on top of a large plastic paint tin---makes a very convenient seive set up. They also sell a similar but finer seive that is coloured red or blue.The two dollar shops have even finer seives that are good for mini mealies. Seive the bran and use what passes through the s/s seive for meaworms and what doesn't for your locusts.The seive can also be used to grade the mealworms into large and small. They (and beetles) will not crawl out even if left overnight.The coloured but finer seives are ideal for mini mealworms--beetles and crysalis do not pass through but mini mealworms do (again use the bran that passes through the seive). I use the sets of draws from the wharehouse as they are well ventilated and the mealies don't crawl out and moisture from a carrot. I have seen others use spuds, apple, banana skin, and cabbage leaves. The best is what works for you. Have a good chrissymas.