Transporting Fish

joff_nz

I know there are a few threads about this, but from my looking I have some specific questions.

I've just bought a tank, and need to transport 'about 30 fish'. I think they are tiger barbs but don't actually know for sure.

I'll be driving for about an hour, with a half hour each end for moving the tank. My plan is to put them into zip lock sandwich bags, then put the bag inside a chilli box.

How many fish should I put in each bag and how much water do I need per bag?

Any other tips

The usual rule of thumb is some where between 1/3 and 1/2 water, the rest air, is your chilybin clean/water tight enough to just add them directly to that, and not use bags?

Unfortunately the bin isn't suitable to use like this, and the road I will be driving is somewhat winding, surely the sloshing would be unpleasant for them?. That and having them in bags means I can move them bag by bag rather than trying to carry the whole container

If i am transporting fish i use sealed buckets, dont feed for at least 24hrs beforehand and not too many fish per container

I'm thinking 6 bags of five fish?

The seller is rather vague, called them 'tiger tropical fish' and said there is about 30 but it fluctuates. In the picture I can't make out any fish so planning is a little difficult.

The movement of the water in bags won't be any different to a chilly bin and that is what oxygenates the water a keeps them alive. I have used a chilly in in the past quite a few times and IMO is the best way to do it to transport a large number or just outright large fish. I'd use a 20L plastic tub half to two thirds full, if your worried about temp strap a couple of hot water bottles to the outside of it. Drive as loose as you like, fish like oxygen :D

I would head to the super market or your LFS and ask for a polybox that holds water, I moved all of my big fish and put them straight in to polyboxes. It works out well because you can put quite a bit of water in there and you don't have to bag them all up and they stay warm, when you get to the other end and have your tank up and running you already have them in a container to siphon water straight in to start acclimatising them.

Ziplock bags leak water.

Not in my experience unless you're colorblind and can't see the whole blue and yellow make green thing :sml2: But putting a rubber band around the top is probably more secure if they get squished a bit so it doesn't pop open.