350 litre tank stocking

Silverdollarboy2

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can advise

I would like to add more fish to my 350 litre tank.

This is what I'd like to get :

1 red parrot fish

3 geophagus surinamensis and 3 keyhole cichlids

Are geophagus surinamensis easy to keep?

Are the above compatible with my current fish?

My current fish are

10 x Juvinille Silver Dollars

2 x spotted mettynis

1 x clown loach

1 x red spot pleco

1 x upside down catfish

1 x chocolate talking catfish

4 x adult silver dollars

Many thanks in advance.

I can see a few problems;

3 of just about any cichlid is a bad number, you're likely to end up with a pair and a spare. Keep an eye on them, and if one is getting picked on be prepared to separate them. Ideally you'd keep a group of 5+, but given that G. altifrons (they're not true G. surinamensis btw) grows to ~25cm you're pushing the limits of your 350L tank (especially if it is one of those tall narrow ones).

And, you're already over-stocke before the Geophagus. IMO you should ditch most if not all the silver dollars, the redspot pleco, and possibly the upside down cat (depending on species and size). The clown loach should really be with a group of other clowns in a larger tank.

I think that a pair of "surinamensis", pair of keyholes, a few spotted mets or smaller mid-swimmers, and a few bottom dwellers like the chocolate cat, upside down cat, and perhaps a smaller pleco or two would be comfortable for a tank of your size (again, depending on the dimensions and filtration).

• 7 months later...

3 of just about any cichlid is a bad number, you're likely to end up with a pair and a spare. Keep an eye on them, and if one is getting picked on be prepared to separate them. Ideally you'd keep a group of 5+, but given that G. altifrons (they're not true G. surinamensis btw) grows to ~25cm you're pushing the limits of your 350L tank (especially if it is one of those tall narrow ones).

And, you're already over-stocke before the Geophagus. IMO you should ditch most if not all the silver dollars, the redspot pleco, and possibly the upside down cat (depending on species and size). The clown loach should really be with a group of other clowns in a larger tank.

I think that a pair of "surinamensis", pair of keyholes, a few spotted mets or smaller mid-swimmers, and a few bottom dwellers like the chocolate cat, upside down cat, and perhaps a smaller pleco or two would be comfortable for a tank of your size (again, depending on the dimensions and filtration).

+1, the upside down can needs a group too (about 6+ - not sure whether they're much of bottom dwellers). Clown loaches are best in groups of 6+. I think the boesemani rainbows are schoolers too?

Also for the surinamensis it'd be best to have sand as a substrate.

I'm not too sure how angels and surinamensis and angels would get along, but you want at least 5 angels as they are pretty social fish.

Alexyay I ment this to be my full list

I don't quite understand what you mean - my advice still stands. The clown loaches, boesemani rainbows and angels all need shoals of 6+. It also looks like silver dollars and spotted mets need shoals of 5+ each too.

This means that your final list (assuming you have/had the tank size for so many large fish) would look like

5x Silver dollars

6x Clown loaches

6x Boesemani rainbows

2x Bristlenoses

1x Chocolate talking cat

5-7x Angels

5x Spotted mets

• 2 years later...
On 26/09/2013 at 7:45 PM, David R said:

I recently reread this thread and liked this idea, so what do you think of this?

Pair of Red Hump Geophagus

4 Spotted Metynnis

1 keyhole

2-3 Silver dollars

Chocolate talking catfish

+ some bottom dwellers

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah you just need to consider the adult size of the fish and also the behaviour of different species. For example, you can expect each of the geos to hit at least 20cm, same with the choc catfish, SM don't get too big (only 10cmish) but they are an active swimming fish so require space. 300L will get taken up pretty quickly when stocking average -> large animals.

Filtration is good though.

I personally don't use the stocking calculators, but at a beginner level they can be useful.