RE: Relocating reef tank

magnus1

Really? Buggar. I'm not sure they could afford another tank. I think its 4-5 feet. We purchased a 5 foot tank a few months ago & transferred about 50-60% of the established water in it in big rubbish bins (along with the fish) to make the move easier on the fish. But they were tropical & I'd imagine live corals etc. would be more sensitive to change. Hmm... any other suggestions? Thanks.

Michelle

its really the same idea but youve got all the coral as well which are often alot more sensative than fish.

another tank as lduncan said would make it alot easier but its still doable without one.

trick is to keep as much as you can of the water and to keep the rocks damp/wet and o do it all as fast as you can.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the fish than the corals. Despite what people say corals are very hardy, even acros move no problems. Fish are more difficult, they tend to get white spot just after a big move.

I'd be trying to keep at least 50% of the tank water. It really depends on how many corals you have, I had at least 40 - 50 pieces plus 20 or so fish. I would not have even considered moving it without a temporary tank setup and running at the new location.

Layton

When we upgraded into the same spot we used large chilly bins and bought large plastic bins with lids from plastic shop. chillly bins can be expensive but we already had five maybe you could borrow some.

We used the bath also :D

i moved my tank twice in the last 6 months, only about 10 fish and soft corals only though. I brought 6 50l rubbish bins and 10 20 plastic buckets with lids and got a few poly bins from the local fish store. Let just say the second time i moved was a lot easier than the first and went a lot smoother

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :)

lduncan: How do you mean it was expensive to move? What were the costs? Also, when you used a 2nd tank, did you use all new water or use 50% of old water? What was the order, i.e. move water, then corals, finally fish? Thanks.

$600+ tank and about $300 in salt poly boxes and bags plus three days of hands in saltwater, burns from halide bulbs, and a sting from a fire coral. I lost two fish (flame angel, and a green chromis) and a couple of corals started rtn'ing, but managed to save part of them.

Never again!!

I started by filling the 2nd tank half full of new water. Then moved the live rock along with some of the existing tank water into it. Then the corals, then the fish. The I moved the main tank, setup lights sump skimmer etc. and filled it half full with new water. Then moved the rock corals and fish from the second tank into the main tank, transferring all of the water with them.

Layton

Details about my move are somewhere on this site. It cost me a fortune, my mates labour bills required a BBQ and much beer. Also lost 2 fish (pixy hawkfish, 6line wrasse) and numerous corals including helofungi, several acropora, montipora and some other small frags that were litteraly lost.

NEVER again.

Pie