Dwarf Puffer 35L Tank Journal

blondfish

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I bought a second hand AquaOne AR-126 35L tank, I removed the gravel and did all the required tests to make sure it was safe. Then came the cycle, since I couldn't locate any ammonia (could only find the cloudy stuff at countdown), I had to use a dead shrimp in some pantyhose, not the desired method, its been sitting in the tank for about 2 weeks now and with some mature media the ammonia is just starting to be processed.

The tank will be a Dwarf Puffer, either a solitary male/female or trio (one male and two females). I'm going to plant it with a sand substrate, rocks and some driftwood. I'll be dosing with Seachem Flourish Excel.

The current plant list is this...

Java Fern

Java Moss

Baby Tears

Vallis

Crypts

Thats all I have ATM :) I'm open for more suggestions though.

Oh, and the light is an 11Watt AquaOne.

This is the most recent pic....

IMG_3147_zps52667b29.jpg

Unfortunately, as you can see, I have gotten mold growing on the shrimp :phb:

Thats it for now :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good! I like the sand, where did you get it/what type of sand is it?

Just a heads up, those tanks are only 21 litres, not 35. :sage:

I got it from Animal Antics, I have no idea what type LoL, it just said "washed sand" on the packet.

Really? I put the dimensions into a volume calculator thingy and it came up with 35 litres :dunno:

Might have been the wrong dimensions though as I think I included the hood. Thanks for the heads up though :)

The tank has finally cleareed up :dnc1:

IMG_3163_zpsf35bc433.jpg

I can't wait to get some more plants. I haven't seen any pieces of driftwood yet that I like but I'll keep my eyes out, anyone know any good places to collect driftwood/buy driftwood?

• 3 weeks later...

Since the shrimp had completely rotted away, I added two Zebra Danios to the tank to check it is cycled.

They seem relatively happy at the moment, I'll test on Saturday to check though.

I also bought some Val, while talking to the lady at Carine, she said it could be awhile until they get their DP's in :/

So, I'll either just have to wait, find someone wanting to rehome their DP or get a Betta or school of Pygmy Corys instead.

Pic....

IMG_3218_zpsf2671a40.jpg

The boat won't stay, it's just in there because the Java Fern on it wasn't doing so well and with the better lighting on this one, I thought I'd see if I could get it looking healthy again.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no news on the dwarf puffer :(

The danios are back in the tank after a break and all tests are coming back good :)

Was at the beach (Anzac Bay) on Friday and found some nice pieces of driftwood, unfortunately, most of them were too big but there is one that fits and I'm curious to find out if it is suitable....

IMG_3264_zpsc8392958.jpg

Soaking at the moment and I've already poured boiling water over it.

Is it suitable?

If it's soft-soft, in that you can poke your finger into it then it's going to break down fairly quickly and isn't a good idea, but most wet wood you can make cuts in with your fingernail so am not sure this is a good formula, or maybe just needs Godlyevil to explain more.

I think that other than that, you can't tell by looking at wood if it's ok to put in the tank or not. Mostly it is ok. If you don't know what sort of wood it is then you can only try it and see. If it's been boiled or rinsed in boiling water and sunk for a few days then it's probably going to be ok. I've used various found woods with various success.

If it's soft-soft, in that you can poke your finger into it then it's going to break down fairly quickly and isn't a good idea, but most wet wood you can make cuts in with your fingernail so am not sure this is a good formula, or maybe just needs Godlyevil to explain more.

I think that other than that, you can't tell by looking at wood if it's ok to put in the tank or not. Mostly it is ok. If you don't know what sort of wood it is then you can only try it and see. If it's been boiled or rinsed in boiling water and sunk for a few days then it's probably going to be ok. I've used various found woods with various success.

Cheers.

Once its water logged I'll put it in my tank, hopefully it will be safe :)