FIGURE 8 PUFFER!!

v8jaggy8

• 2 months later...
Just checking you know they do better in brackish water and a sandy substrate?

there is a lot of controversy around this, considering they originate from the fresh waters of southeast asia, but are occasionally found in brackish water. most figure 8 keepers say they thrive in fresh water, others say brackish. it's clear that these fish can survive in either. at the end of the day, when it comes to specialty fish like these, i don't think you should take anyones advice as to how well your particular fish will do in which kind of water. especially from those who have never kept said fish and are only giving advise based on hearsay. try it out for yourself, and if your fish is thriving in fresh water, then there is no need to change that.

I had him in freshwater for about 2 weeks and then he got whitespot which was a pain because it is very hard to treat puffers so instead I decided to slowly over 2 weeks bring his salinity up and have now had him at 1.010SG ever since and he absolutely thrives in it, has grown about half his original size again.

Mine absolutely loves freshwater shrimp he actively hunts them and normally devours 2-3 in about 10 minutes depending how smartly they hide.

I do think they do better in a brackish environment but also think they will live quite happily and healthy in a freshwater tank