SICK betta fish:(

binu

hey people i av been keeping fighters for last few months , av many of them ..

i did ad many troubles such as fin rot and all but fixed it easily ..but now got fungus kind of disease on my fish !!

its a white colouring on th the body ..

i googled it and it does look like velvet .. i tried many many medicines cant cure it !!!!

my fish is been n the hospital tank for nearly 1 month !! still not recovered ..

i did tried furan 2, pimafix, copper wire , methyline blue ,salt etc etc,, nearly spend double the money of fish for medication ..still not lucky :(

any sugestion or help will be appreciated

I hope you don't have all those meds in there at the same time. Wunder tonic contains a mixture of treatments that will work on most things but I would do a good water change to get rid of the stuff that is in there. If whitspot looks like the fish is sprinkled with salt then velvet looks like it is sprinkled with pepper. Not always easy to see but the easiest way is in the dark at night with a torch. If it doesn't look like it is sprinkled with pepper then you are dealing with something else. There is a type of velvet that we used to call encapsulated velvet. The velvet that you see on the fish is not what you can treat, it is the vegetative form that emerges from what you see. Sometimes they are reluctant to do this but can be encouraged by raisig the temperature. One of the ingredients of wunder tonic is quinine which will kill the vegetative form, however, so should furan and copper if used at the right dosage. If you use too much copper you will end up with a sterile corpse.

i am treating them with these madicine on different time period ..

i ll try wonder tonic then ..

i ad one fish which looks recovered from it but wen i put her back into my display tnk in few days it came again :(

it is not spot its like witish grey colour mainly on there head .. defenetly not white spot ..

been dosing with pim fix ,, no luck so far ..

I'm not sure what it is but DO NOT use anything that ends in "fix" (pimafix, melafix, bettafix) when you're dealing with Bettas and other labyrinth fish (Gouramis etc.).

They contain Tea Tree oils that coat the labyrinth organ and can prevent them from breathing.

I recommend that you do a 100% water change to get rid of all the medication. Adding Carbon to the filter will also help.

Alan, I also never worked out what it was but when I was breeding I had 50 mature males appear to catch it off a single male within 2 days of my first seeing it. Some fighters come in to the retail shops with it as well. I had in fact wondered if it was some sort of burn mark from something in the water combined with the fact that fighters like to hang at the top of the tank where the lights are. However my fish only had it around their head region but from these photos it appears it is over the body.

In all my years of working with them I have never ever had an issue with melafix, in fact it has worked wonderfully well.

In all my years of working with them I have never ever had an issue with melafix, in fact it has worked wonderfully well.

I personally haven't had any prpblems with the Melafix but I've heard of many people having issues.

Studies have been done and the Tea Tree oil has been proven to restrict breathing of the labyrinth organ.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

i think it is a disease , coz i ad black ct avn this.. it ended up fully covered in it and died ..

also i ad succes by treating it with furan ..but it came back aftr some time ..i think it is a kind of velvet ...

we do av quite good breeders in nz ..do they av any idea about it??

No, its definitely not velvet Alan. The best way I can describe it is like a fine layer of skin in a small area has lost its colour and is just a dull very very light grey. Or a small patch has just maybe lifted up slightly. I tried furan which in some cases seemed to reduce it slightly but did not get rid of it.

Being a serious breeder I tried a lot of treatments but because I wouldn't sell anything other than 100% top quality I had no option. None of my fish died from it as they didn't get the chance.

As I said some fighters arrive in the shops with these patches on.

what are the water parameters?, how big is the tank, and what are its tank mates? I had a male covered like this once and I moved him to a different tank away from all his tank mates and he came right again, moved him back it started again, in the ned he had his own little palace for the rest of his life, i put it down to stress in the end, it always looked like excess slime coat to me. he was a bit neurotic though, even stressed out when i put a mirror in there.

i ad this one alone in a tank ..waterchange every thn done properly ..

i got this disease on my fish from anther fish which i bought it from a local breeder ..

worst thing is its contagious ..av to flush some of my lovely fighters :)