Moving my 800ltr Tank, How should I do this?

si_sphinx

I have just listed my house to sell.

I will be moving from the bottom of the South Island (Invercargill) to the Top of the South Island (Nelson bays area)

My tank is 2m x .6 x .6 (700 odd ltrs) + 1200 x 400 x 400 (100 odd ltrs) sump + heavy timber furniture stand and all equipment.

Tank is full of rock, corals and fish. (those who have seen my tank thread will know what it looks like).

d26d5441ba85d9bdd78504d34d146489_zps77ca7bc5.jpg

17 fish, 3 shrimp, starfish, snails, 60-70kgs of rock (dry), a heap of corals. DSB also.

I have absolutely no idea how I am going to break it down and move it.

I would think it would be easier to have something setup in Nelson a week before I move the stuff up there but I don't have anything to use for this or even a place to move to just yet.

And I don't know how much time I will have to move when my house sells.

I could possibly start moving everything as soon as I have something sorted in Nelson as my partner will be going up in a few weeks to her new job and will hopefully have a rental house within the next month.

Also I would need a lot of fresh salt water spare for any reason. and some way of keeping everything warm for the 14 or so hour drive.

I would need some sort of big container to store everything in for the trip up there? I only have 2 medium poly boxes.

I don't know of anyone down here with marine tank experience to help out.

Anyone who has moved this volume of water / size tank before, how did you do it? Keeping in mind this has to be moved quite a distance.

What would be the best plan of attack? i.e. order of process.

Anyone able to offer some help?

What other things do I need to think about?

I dont really believe in adding chems to my tank to remove things. I usually just add extra carbon to my filtration and do water changes.

But I will look into it.

The main thing I don't want to happen is lose any fish. I would rather the fish survive than if I lose the odd coral or two.

i was more thinking put them in poly boxs and you and the misses could have that as your carry on? not sure what flights are worth from invegas - nelson but i also didnt think of the weight of the water and such :/ could end up costing a fair bit but the up side would be it would only take like a hour to get there instead of the 14 hour drive and would probably be a more comfortable ride?

I know nothing about corals but I do know they had to get here from overseas in the first place, meaning a flight of at least 8hrs. If I were in your situation, I'd get my hands on as many poly boxes as possible and keep 2-3 fish per bag with heat packs. If you could get your hands on some O2 that would help too. Then take them up to your temporary tank in your new place (or a nearby friends place or a willing pet store) and settle them in ASAP. Fish can survive extended transit if treated well.

hire a van, cut top off 1,000 litre container put in the back or on trailer

cut plastic sheet up to resemble giant eggcrate 1/2 fill with tank water

this will act as a baffle as well

place rocks and corals in tight so they don't roll around

set up heaters and flow pumps ready to plug in when you get there

add fish in seperate compartment

avoid big bumps

Can't really do more than one fish Peru bag unless I get some big bags. I think a heap of poly boxes are the way to go and my 1000ltr IBC to take water. I'll just chuck the base rock in there and try protect the corals as best I can.

If I don't leave invers now then I never will.

I can give you a hand at this end, I have some marine experience.

I have had corals and fish for almost 24hrs in poly boxes.

driving with them in a van and having a temp tank for them setup beforehand would be the way to go.

Cool, thanks redracer. I will be contact with you closer to the time. I think I am going to need a hand. Takes a long time by yourself.

Can help with the manual lifting side of things when you are here, I wouldn't know where to start as far as helping with the fish and corals go

:iag:

I am also keen to help when you do get here but like cam have little knowledge in the field of marines.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to have to find something to set up temporarily in nelson a week before I go up there so I have something to put half my rock in and then the corals and fish will follow a week later.

So if anyone knows of any biggish tanks or a few small 200-300ltr tanks that I could buy or borrow for a while until I can get my display tank up and running, let me know or keep an eye out.

Much appreciated.

I have figured out what I am going to do.

I will buy some temporary tanks to set up a week before I touch the tank.

1 - week 1, set up new tank or tanks in Nelson. Make sure I have plenty of spare water. + RODI water and salt if needed.

2 - week 2, take up base rock and rinsed sand in containers covered in drenched towels and newspaper to lessen the water I have to take from the main tank.

3 - week 3, take up the rest of the rock with corals and fish in poly boxes. (plenty of people to help tag and bag)

4 - week 4 or 5, movers will bring up the tank,stand and the rest of my house furniture.

5 - week 6, set up Display tank.

6 - week 7, transfer base rock and sand.

7 - week 8, transfer fish and corals.

8 - week 8-10, watch every fish very carefully for signs of stress or unhealthiness.

My acclimation for fish, inverts and corals is always drip acclimation. (keeping water warm with warm bags of water).

Fish 2-3 hours (4 hrs,depending on salinity of their water).

Inverts 2-3 hours (including clams and starfish).

Corals 1-2 hours.

Anything I should write down or add in my process?

i could help buy watching and drinking from the sidelines? offering advice like bend ya knees cam, dont lift with ya back... :rolfl: :digH:

But lifting with your groin and your back with a jerking twisting motion is the way that Peter Griffin taught me :smot: