Doc's NEW rimless tank project

Dr A

So. It begins.

Turning my entrance way (dumping ground) into a small display.

I removed the rim off my old hospital tank (wish I'd done a better job - oh well).

ZAMw0Pb.jpg

(doing a water test here)

Floor Standing Lamp/Light fitting.

DIY CO2

Drift wood dominated

Main planting will be clumps of Windelov Java fern, a bit of anubias and one or two crypts

Rest of the tank to be bare substrate, probably of black sand or grit - not bothering with a dirted setup as I don't really want heavy root feeders. Will try incorporate a bit of moss.

Heater at least needs to be hidden. Ideally filter as well.

Like this!

q1JLF9z.png

Stocking:

Either, 1x Fighter (Solid red etc) OR a small school of fish. Bit worried about jumping and the fact that it's essentially in a walkway.

Roughly 27L (still tiny!).

No bowing or deflection to note!

• 3 weeks later...

:spop:

1 feature fish with gusto would be good there. Robust enough for it to come and see who is looking in the tank, big enough to be spotted from a distance while passing. Little fish will probably dart away whenever someone comes near in a hallway, or hide in the plants so you have to stop to find them.

http://imgur.com/a/cv3Hk

Please note:

1) I can't get down my hallway as I'm trying to dry washing in there (no laundry!)

2) dodgy camera skills as per from a phone (using it's flash)

3) cabling work isn't final

First time using an inert substrate, so we'll see how that goes.

Needs a bit of a tidy up, but you can see the general idea.

I really want to take the filter and heater OUT of the tank.

you could look at the under tank heating mats, a bit pricey atm but completely hidden, and filter see if you can buy a mini canister, and glass piping. thats as invisible as you can get. or else consider building a partition in the back to conceal the heater and a mini sump filter.

other than that looking awesome.

HFF actually stock a heating cable (Aqua One iirc) that goes under the substrate, but it requires a external thermostat, which is another probe in tank.

I'd pref the glass pipes, maybe w/ an inline heater.

I can put a normal heater into a bit of PVC with some silicone.

I mean, I've already got the pump right? Find some clear plastic piping and build a DIY canister filter (ie, more PVC) with the heater in line to that.

Don't have to worry about siphoning the tank as it's a closed loop, short of it leaking, I can't see what can go wrong.

just a idea to keep the filter and heater out of the tank...

set up a sump/plastic container under the table (only needs to be big enough to hold every thing in it and you can put a lid on it (i would)

put one of those filters that are about $20 from the pet store in the plastic container

(little brother of this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/f ... 277873.htm )

hook up the out flow to some air hose back up to the tank

to out flow into the plastic container use this idea...

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... ystem.html

tho you don't have to use pvc the guys on youtube use that black irrigation hose (13mm) (about $15 would do the entire thing) and you only the out flow part.

oh and put the heater inside the plastic container (tho sit it on something so you don't melt a hole in it)

if your not making a little free fall with the water back into the tank you can have your air stone or however you want to aerate the water in the sump/plastic container too

that would get everything out of the tank with the exception of a little bit of black pipe in the corner

just a idea tho :thup:

I bought 10 of those cheap glass co2 diffusers back from thailand and they are absolute cheese, literally every one has broken on the bend with next to no force being applied except to seat a soft silicone air hose. Poor design, the inline ones work better anyhow.

Well it was my fault the glass broke - I didn't realize they took so much pressure to actually diffuse bubbles coming out of them - evidently DIY CO2 systems still need a fair bit of pressure to force the gas through the diffusion area, I would have given my self an aneurysm had I tried to blow through it any more...

I submerged the whole thing and sucked out all the air beneath the diffuser, but this essentially made a vacuum when I tried to pull off the airline hose later, I had to pull really hard and the glass snapped.

I'd be keen to give it another crack though, I like the look of the glass diffusers.

• 4 weeks later...

Stocked with 5x Ember Tetras as of today.

They've settled in well I think.

Tank is everything I wanted it to be (low maintenance), and the fish aren't shy which is good for a walkway.

Need to decide what I want to do with the rest of the stocking, I'll let these guys settle in and build up the biological filtration in the meantime though.

Absolutely - that's pretty much what I had in mind - everything else in this tank is very mono-thematic, I think a big school of just one sort of fish would be quite cool.

Perhaps a few ottos or small (panda?) cory cats to clean up any leftovers.