water treatment

nudge

The new place i move into this week is on tank/rain water and i was wondering if i need to worry about wether the water has been treated with stuff that people use to treat tanks for giardhea (no idea on spelling this) and other bugs?

No idea if it is a worry or not, I'd suggest testing it with a few less precious fish first if you're concerned. But with the amount of rain we have had lately I would expect your tank to be full of fresh pure water and not much else, unless it was treated very recently.

The new place i move into this week is on tank/rain water and i was wondering if i need to worry about wether the water has been treated with stuff that people use to treat tanks for giardhea (no idea on spelling this) and other bugs?

You mean...Chlorine?

Also it's pretty unlikely the water has been treated with anything.

It should be fine, I am on rain water tanks, and dont have problems with the water.

Yeah, I feel sorry for all you people that aren't on rainwater tanks. All the stressing over not doing too big of water changes, dechlorinator, can't wash filter media under the tap. Screw that, 50-75% water changes whenever I can be bothered straight from the kitchen tap, clean filters in the sink...:)

there is this stuff that is made by the same company that do the spray and walk away adds. It comes in a bottle and you dump it in the tank spose to get rid of any nasty bugs or contaminants that may have got in the tank

exactly, not even sure how i would test to see if anything has been added, apart from the fish method, prob is i can,t get into the place till fri which is the day i have set aside to move the tank.

Any ideas on what i could test for?

Any ideas on what i could test for?

Not sure if it would come up, but if you check the TDS it should be fairly low with rain water, ours is <10ppm.

If you're really worried you could take enough town water with you to set up the tank then figure out if the tank is treated before you need to do a water change. I presume you've asked the landlord?

How much does it cost to get a company out to full the tank so you could just drain it and that way you know it's 100% safe?

Don't know about there, but here it's about $150-200 for about 6000 liters. If you actually want to top it off that would probably be 2-3 tanker loads.

Or you know...Wait 2-3 days until the next monsoon.

That is a good idea, our tank went from under 1/4 full to overflowing with one good night of rain, so if you drained it right down at this time of year it shouldn't take long to fill back up. Might be a good chance to give it a clean if there is much sediment in the bottom.

• 3 months later...

I have never had any problems with rain water in Auckland, been keeping fish for about 10 years now, rain water all the time (except for the few times where we had to order water due to running out (not my fault, if I leave the hose in the pond and walk away forgeting it the logical person to blame is not me.))

David, do you ever have any issues with the rain water we get in Auckland? Someone told me hat he got acid rain once and killed his fish.

Hey Davy, I'm not in Auckland anymore so don't have that problem!! I have collected rainwater in Auckland, but only used small amounts of it (~100L in a 1400L tank). I know others who use it and haven't had problems too.