Best food for carnivores

I have had my birchirs eating pallets for a few months now, at the moment they are JBL sinking tablets.

But as my container of them is about to run out I want to know what are peoples opinions on the best food for carnivorous fish like polypterus?

I have had my birchirs eating pallets for a few months now, at the moment they are JBL sinking tablets.

But as my container of them is about to run out I want to know what are peoples opinions on the best food for carnivorous fish like polypterus?

How big are they that they can eat pallets? Or do you chop them down into small pellets? I would have thought the wood wouldn't be good for them, though since they're carnivores not herbivores.

They are only about 10cm now, growing fast. They either tear the pallets up when they are soaked, and the larger one swallows the 10mm pallets whole (surprised me when I saw it do that the first time, but they have massive mouths for there size.

The pallets are not the pleco ones, the ingredients have 'mollusks and crustaceans' as the first ingredient, but that is kind of why I am asking what would be a better food for carnivores.

I have had a bit of experience with these guys and i find the best most 'enlarging' growth food is Hikari Massivore.

It has shown the absolutely best growth for any fish i have had to date

but i would suggest, feeding 80% massivore, 20% beef heart to your bichirs.

if you dont want the mess of heart, then massivore is fine.

Pallet:

pallet_lg3.jpg

Pellet:

wood_pellets_confluence.jpg

I agree with Henward that Hikari make really good carnivore pellets, both the sinking carnivore and the massivore. NLS mega fish formula is also good, but HFF aren't stocking it any more so you'd have to look at getting it online (talk to Smidey, I think he knows where to order it). I disagree about the heart though, I'd rather feed prawn or fish fillets than beef heart, seems a bit more natural?

I have mostly changed from beef heart to prawn as the kokopu have decided that the don't want to eat beef or pellets after a summer of live food. The bullies, smelt and torrent fish arn't as keen on the prawn as they were on the beef.

As for pellets they eat Nutrafin Max Discus and Cichlid, NLS Med sinking pellets and Sera Cichlid Granules.

i've been playing with Tuatua tounge, free source as im close to beach I know that puffer fish LOVE it and so do africans.

dunno about long term, and im only using the tounge in case of paralytic poisoning affecting fish as well (don't expect it to be too bad as there ain't any stoned snapper around, better safe than sorry)

imo for fish, go aquatic or insect (can't see many fish taking on a cow). lotsa crickets and bugs in the long grass around here as well (plus I know they not spraying it).

always easy to get maggots or earthworms.

I fed my Polypterus Delhezi a variety of foods, mainly(but not in order) frozen lancefish, frozen bloodworm, live earthworm, mussels(we get very small ones here, no greenlips), Tetra cichlid sticks, live water louse, small slithers of fresh fish, any cull fry, JMC catfish pellets, and anything else it would hoover up, it wasn't a terribly fussy fish!

My crew eat Hikari Sinking Carnivore (and large Cichlid Gold pellets even though it's not ment for them) and they're doing great. When they were smaller I fed them on wardleys shrimp pellets which they did well on too :) I don't feed meat mostly because they prefer the pellets!