Sick female angelfish - please help urgently

Owlover88

Hi there

Need help with sick angelfish please.

I only noticed that my female angelfish was on the floor, on her side on Tuesday. she was trying to fan herself but won't swim or eat. I couldn't do anything apart from doing water change & dosing melafix till I gathered enough money to get furan-2. Saw her eyes were cloudy so I suspect she may have bacterial infection plus fin rot cos one of her underneath fin was broken off. So bought furan-2 yesterday (saturday) and did 25% water change before dosing (4 packet for 165litres tank).

And I did another 25% water change and dose 4 packets again today.

She is not looking any better, although her eyes cleared up. She is still on her side,fanning herself and even tries to eat liquid fry food. Water temp is between 25 and 27 degrees although I can't be sure, cannot read the meter. She is in the breeding box in the middle of the tank and every time I comes near, she struggle to get up but couldn't. She is having a stringy yellow but could be white discharge and her area looks a bit red.

Apart from that, I couldn't tell what is wrong with her so am hoping that furan-2 would do the job.

Is there anything else I can do to treat her as well? Medicated food? I don't want to lose her and I was hoping she will breed with the male angelfish. The male fish is fine, just happy to eat all her food.

It's a first time I'm dealing with a sick fish and I'm been doing fish hobby for over two years so I'm really lost.

I would assume the male has beaten her. how did you determine sex?

keep your water clean, avoid any temperature shocks.

continue with the Furan - 2 until you have finished the prescribed doseage.

also monitor your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels just incase you get a mini cycle due to the use of anti bacterials.

stop using liquid fryfood, and give her something like live mozzie larvae, white worms or a good quality pellet food. the fryfood will not be nourishing her enough.

find a way to monitor the temperature as the aim is to keep everything stable atm

other than that, just wait and monitor.

hate to say it but you may lose her, she sound pretty beaten up

good luck

I assume she is female based on the dorsal fin shape and the ridge of her head by googling sex comparison.

Yeah I also suspect that the male may be beating her up. He was aggressive toward her.

Thanks for the tips, will try them.

Last question, how would I know if I complete the meds. Do I continue if she is still unwell?

I would stop using the meds.

also the only sure way to sex an angel is to see her "bits", male pointy, female blunt.

I normally do this by heavily feeding them and providing right conditions.

if its your first time breeding them I would invest in a proven pair, or get a group and let them pair up naturally

also it is normally best to add a male to a female, and ensure she is in full condition first.