What sand is safe to use?

blondfish

It depends on the fish you have. Play sand tends to be quite sharp while river sand is smooth. Cories use their barbells to sift the sand constantly and it has been suggested that sharp sand can hurt them. If you don't have any sand sifters you'll be fine with any sand you like - just be prepared to do a lot of washing before putting it in the tank as they often contain a lot of dust / clay etc.

It depends on the fish you have. Play sand tends to be quite sharp while river sand is smooth. Cories use their barbells to sift the sand constantly and it has been suggested that sharp sand can hurt them. If you don't have any sand sifters you'll be fine with any sand you like - just be prepared to do a lot of washing before putting it in the tank as they often contain a lot of dust / clay etc.

I want some Pygmy Cory's in my 84 (along with some danio's) and in my 21 I'll only have a Betta.

Would I just be better to stick with the silica sand stuff from the LFS?

The main problem with the likes of play sand is that it is very dirty, so you have to wash it LOTS or else it will cloud up your tank with dirt.

I'll probably be able to clean it heaps. Whats the best way? Do I just stick a hose in a bucket full of the sand and let it run for awhile? (seen this suggested on other threads)

If you don't have an easy source of river sand then silica is a great start. That being said I've got Panda Cories on daltons no.1 sand (which is fairly sharp) and they're fine with it.

Best way to wash sand I've found is to put sand in a bucket up to 1/3 full then put a running hose in and stir it with your hand making sure to not stir so much that the sand washes out but enough that it's all being lifted and washed. Sand should be heavier than the stuff you're trying to wash out.

If you don't have an easy source of river sand then silica is a great start. That being said I've got Panda Cories on daltons no.1 sand (which is fairly sharp) and they're fine with it.

Best way to wash sand I've found is to put sand in a bucket up to 1/3 full then put a running hose in and stir it with your hand making sure to not stir so much that the sand washes out but enough that it's all being lifted and washed. Sand should be heavier than the stuff you're trying to wash out.

There is a river pretty much just down the road, however it's full of crabs which I don't want to pick up.

no one likes crabs :P

are they fresh water ones????

if not then remember you also want to wash as much salt and organic matter out as well.

I think its freshwater (?) it might be slightly brackish though. Lots of whitebaiters go there when its in season if that helps.

might point out at this point that it is illegal to collect sand or stones from a river in NZ without a permit.

what river btw, im a TGA boy and know most of them like the back of my hand

not illegal to take the threatened native animals, just the sand and stones...... :facepalm:

might point out at this point that it is illegal to collect sand or stones from a river in NZ without a permit.

what river btw, im a TGA boy and know most of them like the back of my hand

not illegal to take the threatened native animals, just the sand and stones...... :facepalm:

Well that's rather stupid. :facepalm:

It the Uretara stream

I'll just use the silica or play sand then. Are any brands better than others?

lol, Katikati kid are you, I grew up swimming and chasing eels in that river.

go down Henry Road and have a poke around, Great jumping spot there when I was a kid.

lotsa inanga, shrimp, Koura, Kokopu and bullies

nice clean water and clean stones that you cannot take.

lol, Katikati kid are you, I grew up swimming and chasing eels in that river.

go down Henry Road and have a poke around, Great jumping spot there when I was a kid.

lotsa inanga, shrimp, Koura, Kokopu and bullies

nice clean water and clean stones that you cannot take.

Well that sucks I can't take any!

Yeah I am, I grew up in Kerikeri though, was very confusing when I moved up here....Kerikeri, Katikati.

Will this sort of sand be alright for Cory's?

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... kg/m/1123/

Well that's rather stupid. :facepalm:

It the Uretara stream

I'll just use the silica or play sand then. Are any brands better than others?

You've got bigger problems if your Urethra stream has sand and stones in it.

I've been thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that black sand would look better, anywhere I could get this from? I've seen the flourish stuff but will only get this if there's no other options because its quite expensive.

Would black grit work? Or would it be too sharp for the Pygmy's?

With sand do you have to check for pH neutrality ie vinegar test or is that only for rocks? In Christchurch Urban Landscaping Supplies sell a few different sands including a coarse black one which is very popular but as mentioned above, does need a LOT of washing.

Also I lol'd at the sand in Urethra stream ;)

With sand do you have to check for pH neutrality ie vinegar test or is that only for rocks? In Christchurch Urban Landscaping Supplies sell a few different sands including a coarse black one which is very popular but as mentioned above, does need a LOT of washing.

Also I lol'd at the sand in Urethra stream ;)

I think that's only for rocks, though I may be wrong.

Another question to all..... Where would the best place be to buy the play sand? (Had a look at the black silica sand and its a bit too expensive)