Feeding crickets to frogs

Simple concept to contain crickets when feeding to frogs.

Place the dusted crickets in a lunch box sized container - the frogs soon learn where the dinner is.

frogsss.jpg

If growing frogs on or breeding this is a very productive and easy way of getting plenty of much needed food into them.

Feed them every day to every other day and they grow like cows on super-hay.

Any questions fire away.

:bounce:

My question is everything xD setting up a new tank for my two Golden Bell Frogs, I got some locusts to breed for ongoing food and mealworms for treats, how shall I set my tank up? I'm planning on a UVB lamp and a heat pad. I've also just set up my locust breeding tank, I'm very happy with it but if you know any advanced information you think I might not know, would appreciate it.

My question is everything xD setting up a new tank for my two Golden Bell Frogs, I got some locusts to breed for ongoing food and mealworms for treats, how shall I set my tank up? I'm planning on a UVB lamp and a heat pad. I've also just set up my locust breeding tank, I'm very happy with it but if you know any advanced information you think I might not know, would appreciate it.

I have never used locusts as a staple so someone else is probably better qualified to comment on them. However will be ok just don't put 100 in at a time , start of small numbers see how they go...if you only have a couple of frogs you could always hand feed the locusts to them. And or maybe you want more of a display? Above more for growing on/breeding - displays work well for all feeders if setup right. Hmm maybe should change title to feeding frogs and go through the options.

Could put mealworms in setup above. I just use crickets as always have excess and imo is the best all round food. Possibly in the world batman :thup:

p.s i find heat lamps or emitters from above much better for the atmosphere. much less humidity as oppose to heat mats also cheaper to run as you are only heating the basking area not the whole tank..gives the animal choice to thermoregulate it self too.. something to think about.

Thanks, I'll go with that and try the heat emitter. I have been feeding mealworms for a while and catching flies as the primary part of their diet but in this cold.. no flies. Can't feed mealworms as a staple diet for their low nutritional value to fat ratio, I wish I could cause I have about 300 worms in my breeding program at the moment.

The above frogs are only young - females will get to double the size of the biggest in that lot. Locusts go down the hatch no trouble.

Plan to have some nutrient testing done on the locusts in the future. They generally only eat grass and bran in captivity and are not able to be gutloaded like the crickets.

Bell frogs can easily take a pinky mouse but no need for it imo.

And if fed well then frogs shouldn't eat each other :thup:

Wow, these locusts will be that big? o.O I didn't expect that.. ok well my initial 20ish will be grown to full size and their offspring will be the beginning of the feeders. I'll just feed them when they're the right size. hopefully it'll grow my Golden bells better than the flies did.