discus is very skinny- where can get some worming tabs-tga

willow123

Hi all,

I am hoping you may be able to help me.

I have a very skinny discus who now hides at the back of my tank and has lost her personality.

She is still eating a bit but doesnt have the enthusiasm that she used to for food.

I am guessing she may have internal parasites as there is no other signs on the outside of her body other than she is looking more like a supermodel. How can I help her??

The other two that are in with her seem to be fine at the moment.

Presuming the whole tank she is in needs to be wormed?. Its a 500 litre tank with corys in too.

Have tried raising the temps and water changes and what not but nothing seems to be helping!!

I don't seem to catch her pooing either to check for any obvious signs.

where in Tauranga can I get praziquantel??? "I am guessing??" from?

Does anyone have any ideas? or other options?

Scared I am going to lose her and the others down the line.

any help would be much appreciated.

Is the skinny one smaller than the others? You may find that the other two are bullying it - You may have more luck with it if you move it to another tank for a while.

She is in between the 3 size wise. They are all about 8 months old or so.

I have one bigger one about 11cm who is the brother/sister of the skinniest one. He is most def the boss in the tank and does give her and the other one (who is the smallest) a bit of grief. He obviously gets the most food of all.

The small one is 7cms still gives the big guy a challenge though and still comes out for a swim even if he has been chased away numerous times. He doesn't seem to be growing much either and he gets a good amount of beef heart and various bits.

He is looking a bit thin too compared to the big fat one.

The smallest one seems to be lovely to the skinny one.

The only spare tank I have up and running at the moment is a tank with 6 young redmaps in. About 12 weeks old. I didn't really want to put her in there just incase it is worms and effects them too and I have nothing on hand to fix it fast.

Thanks, any help or ideas would be good

She is in between the 3 size wise. They are all about 8 months old or so.

I have one bigger one about 11cm who is the brother/sister of the skinniest one. He is most def the boss in the tank and does give her and the other one (who is the smallest) a bit of grief. He obviously gets the most food of all.

The small one is 7cms still gives the big guy a challenge though and still comes out for a swim even if he has been chased away numerous times. He doesn't seem to be growing much either and he gets a good amount of beef heart and various bits.

He is looking a bit thin too compared to the big fat one.

The smallest one seems to be lovely to the skinny one.

The only spare tank I have up and running at the moment is a tank with 6 young redmaps in. About 12 weeks old. I didn't really want to put her in there just incase it is worms and effects them too and I have nothing on hand to fix it fast.

Thanks, any help or ideas would be good

just found some on Hollywoodfishfarm

wondering if I should buy praziquantel or levamisole? mmmm

I was told that regular dog or cat worming tablets do the trick - just crush one up with some blood worms and drop in the tank. Apparently someone did this who had discus with worms and it fixed them up a treat.

I have used the bird wormer and it killed all my fish so wouldn't touch it again.