Acidic water solution

mrrick

Hi guys.

I checked the pH of my Cichlid tank today and it came up about 6.5 (which I see is too acidic)

Is there any reason why putting a limestone rock in the tank would be a bad idea? Limestone will increase the pH, it looks pretty, and the worse it will do is carbonate the water a little bit ??

Also, my are my Africans not eating the plants in the tank? I have floating Indian fern, some Ambulia and Java fern, all untouched by the fish

specifically what Cichilids are you keeping in there?

Many american Cichlids dont actually require that high PH, Alkaline water, you mention Africans... specifically what Africans are you keeping?

So i would look at what your tap water PH is, many people have great success with that lower ph water as the fish do adapt... but if you are trying to re-produce fish or keep them in the most ideal habitat then yes replicating the water conditions of the natural environment is most idea.

Ive never kept limestone rock in my tanks but I do run coral rock in my African tanks, my filter on my African tank has 3 media trays, 2 of those media trays contain broken up coral rock, this has two effects, biological hosting of the good bacteria for my cycle and the additional benefit of having a natural higher PH level.

There are products around like PH up and proper PH, but these are going to require constant dosage and monitoring as you do water changes... one hopes regular water changes...

As for your fish not eating your plants, again its specific to the breeds, what diets you are naturally providing for them etc... Cichlids wont ALWAYS eat plants, but they will if they want, and if they are not being fed the wide range of food they want they will... they will also dig, pick up your plants and leave them floating about, kill off new shoots...

then again they might not and you might be someone lucky enough to have fish that leave your plants alone

EDIT:

DavidR's link is spot on, that article explains it better than I ever can

Also, my are my Africans not eating the plants in the tank? I have floating Indian fern, some Ambulia and Java fern, all untouched by the fish

sometimes africans eat plants, sometimes they don't. you can have africans with plants and have no worries at all, until one day they just randomly decide to start eating the plants.

i can only speculate as to why.

maybe they are already well fed with a good balance of proteins and vege matter that they don't need to eat the plants. vege type green stuff is an important part of most african cichlids diet.

maybe you just have well entertained fish. bored fish get into the green stuff...

My cichlids are feed "cichlid crumble" by Wardleys, and are given live 'water boatmen' every day (as are all my tanks)

My cichlids are a variety, Electric yellows, kribensis, P.steveni, and some marbles (but i am not sure, I got them through trademe from a guy who thought they were Angels and 'see through' fish!) :fshi:

Limestone will only be good for your water perams. Do you research on Cichlid Forums on your specific varieties but Africans are pretty hardy as far as PH levels go, the main thing is to keep them constant. I use a solution of Epsom salts, baking soda and rock salt to keep my PH a constant 8 and KH and Gh at 11.

6.5 seems a bit low though, are you on a Town supply or a tank water supply???

I normally add a cup or 2 of Crushed limestone to my filter baskets in african tanks, seems to keep it in the high 7's to low 8's

correct me if im wrong, but I have always been told that having a higher pH and Hardness will make the blue colour's brighter. (something to do with the chemicals involved)