Oxygen in bags ?

saltyfish

Is it common practice in NZ for aquarium shops to bag fish filled with oxygen ?

Bought some fish today and the shop assistant didnt bother - couldnt see any oxygen canisters so dont know if he just didnt bother or its not normal practice here. Fish didnt make the journey home :cry1:

Cheers

Is it common practice in NZ for aquarium shops to bag fish filled with oxygen ?

Bought some fish today and the shop assistant didnt bother - couldnt see any oxygen canisters so dont know if he just didnt bother or its not normal practice here. Fish didnt make the journey home :cry1:

Cheers

Nope, most just pump air in. Should be enough for anything less than maybe 12 hours for an average sized fish.

How long was the journey?

What was the ratio of water to air?

How many fish were in the bag?

I would not expect the lack of added oxygen to cause fish loss on the journey home (depending on answers to the above questions). After all, the average hobbyist, swapping fish with a mate, does not usually have access to oxygen tanks. I have travelled for 2 days with bagged fish, opening the bag daily to do water changes, and all arrived safe and sound.

Journey was about an hour, 2 fish and proportion of water was about 2/5 of bag. Put it in polystyrene box so doubt fluctuations in temp would have been factor.

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds about right, maybe a bit more water depending on size of fish

Journey was about an hour, 2 fish and proportion of water was about 2/5 of bag. Put it in polystyrene box so doubt fluctuations in temp would have been factor.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, that's all fine. No way that that was lack of oxygen.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know much about marine fish and it would depend on their size but I always ask for fish bigger than around 4-5cm fish in separate bags from the shops, they think I am rediculious but I have had too many fish smash each other up in the bags and get quite beaten up or die in a short period after purchasing them.

they were small damsels so adequate space as bag was decent size. The guy putting them in the bag was pretty rough with them though. Im used to fish being caught in a net and put in cups under the water and then transported to the bag so the fish never leave the water. And yes it was one of the fish shops in Auckland. Kinda annoying when they cost so damn much !

• 2 weeks later...