anyone with natives?

hi guys, anyone have any native geckos spare? thinking about doing a native enclosure and have thoroughly read up about them so im all set. i thought theres no point moving foward with this untill i know if there is anyone that actually have some that they dont mind parting with. i havent applied for a permit yet but yeah if i can track down some i will! :thup: hoping for a green variety so most likely auckland greens, northlands or wellingtons. ive heard that doc may give me a list of names but i thought ill give it a shot on here first haha. can collect anywhere 3 hours out of tauranga at most probably. PM me if you have any info that could help me! 8)

thanks heaps,

reuben

Hey Man

I would probably apply for your permit before trying to source them as DOC can be fussy about the gecko population.

But goodluck and make sure you show us lots of pictures I want to do a native terrarium setup as well

Graeme

i gave the local doc office a call and the guy was in a meeting so i left a message and he will call me back but the receptionist said hes quite easygoing about it and knows everything there is to know so i hope all goes well haha. and yep there will be lots of pictures to follow if it all works out :happy2:

Sorry i think i have been missunderstood about sourcing the geckos, i am just looking for anyone with any that i may be able have when i do get my permit haha im well aware of it being illegal without a permit so would never get any without haha. Ive decided to get a permit and build an enclosure anyway so hopefully i can find some :thup:

I think ive made a casual membership but i wasnt asked to pay anything so maybe not lol but i couldnt find much info on there so i might buy a membership and it will probably unlock more features. My dad and i are gonna start on the native enclosure next weekend so ill start up a thread documenting the build as i dont think theres much info on the net and it may inspire more people to get into natives :roll:

I think ive made a casual membership but i wasnt asked to pay anything so maybe not lol but i couldnt find much info on there so i might buy a membership and it will probably unlock more features. My dad and i are gonna start on the native enclosure next weekend so ill start up a thread documenting the build as i dont think theres much info on the net and it may inspire more people to get into natives :roll:

I think it's about $20 now and it unlocks pretty much everything you need to know. They also send out booklets which have care sheets and other interesting things. Also if you create a thread on the paying members section asking for forest or green geckos, you're almost guaranteed to get some.

Hey,

I have got my permit for endangered natives and have heaps of geckos but sorry I do not have any that you will be able to have on your 'A' class permit. One thing I will say it before you construct your cage is to register with the NZHS. There is heaps of people who have taken photos of them constructing their cages at different stages and documented it. It is very useful. Also there is a set of strict guide lines from DoC about cage requirements and these need to be met or they will not give you your permit and if they do but is it not up to their standard many keepers will not want their lizards to go to a cage which does not 'follow the rules'. Make sure your cages are built to the requirements. What species are you wanting to hold and how many? There are minimum sizes for species and the number of lizards for cages. Cages are not cheap to build. For a small cage you will be looking at about $300 if you get the materials very cheap.

Thanks,

Jamie

okay thanks for that, i have made my design going by the doc cage requirement sheet but i may hold off and have a look at a few more peoples cages so i get a good idea of it all. and i was hoping for a small group of auckland greens or similar - to my understanding they are permit A's? thanks for your help Jamie, i think joining the NZHS is definatelly a good idea

That is the best thing to do. The more cages you look at the better. Auckland greens are very intresting! And yes they are an 'A' permit species. Sorry I lied, I do have Auckland greens!! I currently have 11 (4 green and 7 bright yellow) however I cannot give you some of these as they are part of a breeding program, sorry!

If you have any other questions just ask, I am more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Jamie

sweet, thanks gocada. and Jamie, i printed out an application form for the NZHS as im going to post the form with a cheque so its all together rather than doing it the application form online then posting a cheque or whatever haha. they have specified a different price for a student membership on the paper form than on the online form??? im a bit confused. what price do i use haha the website one says $23 and the paper one says $35?? hmmmm :dno:

http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/exoti ... sort=3&o=1

http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/exoti ... sort=3&o=2

http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/exoti ... sort=3&o=0

Sorry took a while to get these bad pics haha, anyway the cage was pretty cheap around 200ish and has aluminium here and there for reinforcing. Make sure when you make a cage not to make the doors to small like i did and add pots of liquid under each support leg so ants have a hard time getting in. :D .

thanks for the photos! :wink: and tidy looking cage as wel. if managed to get a big bit of new perspects as i was planning on using it for the front but ive heard from a lot of people that mesh is the way to go but it seems a shame to not end up using it but anyway well see how it turns out. and like i said ill have a look on the nzhs website once the money and registration form goes through, ill get a few more cage ideas and learn a bit more and i should be all set lol