Java Fern or Java Moss?

NoFishing

Hi All, I bought a couple of small pots of Java Fern and proceeded to split it into several small plants and scattered it around on driftwood.

This one particular piece I put higher up on the driftwood close to the surface and it's grown into this massive bush. It's currently about 25cm diameter.

My question is, is this what Java Fern can grow like or have I got a bit of Java Moss hitch hiked it's way in.... along with the snails. Either way, the fish LOVE it and heaps of platy fry have taken refuge in it. I just don't want it taking over and getting everywhere in the tank. So what should I expect to see from this as time goes on? Should I take some action now to control it, or just let it do it's thing?

Cheers

javafern.jpg

• 3 months later...
Time for a quick update....

Since the moss is gone the fern is doing much better now. :happy1:

I didn't like the moss as it seemed to trap a lot of debris in it and every time I moved it all kinds of dirt came out of it.

Yeah, it's great for trapping garbage. And for coming loose, clogging the filter and killing most of your fish while you're on vacation. :tears: