I would like some expert advice

v8jaggy8

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's when a substrate like aquabasis becomes even more important. Try and look at it like this, you're driving a standard road car with a moderately powerful engine. When you upgrade the engine (lights) you need better fuel (CO2 and ferts) and tyres (substrate) in order for the car to function well. If you leave any one of these components out, your system will fail resulting in poor plant growth and/or algae.

You can use products like seachem flourish but is quite expensive in the long run. its best to buy a powered trace and macro mix like the ones on Trademe. With the powdered stuff you just mix in with warm water into a container and dose x amount each day,

• 2 weeks later...

So turns out that small Blue Planet classic 20 has turned into a hospital tank as I had a sick fighter come into work and am now slowly nursing him back to health fingers crossed.

But as luck would have it my AWESOME sister has decided to give me a new Fluval Spec V as a house warming present so back to planning how to plant this one out for my puffer.

Is the LED lighting on the spec V enough for growing decent plants. Its light unit is rated at 7500K.

Plants will grow ok at 7500K spectrum, in a tank that size I recommend starting out at only 6 hours a day though or you could easily get overrun by algae.

If you want a bushy jungle you won't have to try too hard if you use a stem plant like ambulia, twisted val would also look good planted in a big group. You could leave one of the front corners empty and then you'll have a little space to feed the fish once the back gets full.

Another idea would be to add some height with a piece of driftwood and attach java fern. That would be a nice feature that wouldn't make too much work by growin too fast in a narrow tank.

Twisted val rots if you bury the green part in the gravel, it just likes the roots covered and the green bit sitting on the substrate. It melts if you put flourish excel in an overdose, and in my experience it doesn't like it very much anyway. Other than it has grown well for me. It seems to be one of those plants that do well or don't, so give it a try and see what happens. 8)

So have finally got around to putting pen to paper to sort out a layout plan.

I have decided on using four different plant varieties, they are as follows:

Java Fern (Probably lace)

Ambulia

Twisted Val (as thought of by Sophia)

Hair grass

Will I be able to successfully grow these in my tank (low tech) I am hoping to get a low full grass effect out of the hair grass is this plausible?

TIA

Graeme

This is the plan of attack on how I am thinking of setting it up. Have already found the most amazing piece of driftwood that suits the tank

20130613_165708_zpsdd208453.jpg?t=1371100272

Any improvements I can make? Going to be using a light natural gravel as the substrate

Cheers