Glutaraldehyde

amtiskaw

If you know how to use Google you will find at least 2 sources to get it from here in NZ. BUT that stuff is that dangerous I wouldn't want it anywhere near me or my pets - just check out the MSDS, shocking...

Cheers,

JaSa

If you know how to use Google you will find at least 2 sources to get it from here in NZ. BUT that stuff is that dangerous I wouldn't want it anywhere near me or my pets - just check out the MSDS, shocking...

I guess you wont be using Flourish Excel anytime soon then. I've always been aware of the dangers of using Excel, and I never let it contact my skin. :smln:

http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/FlourishExcel.doc.pdf

I wouldn't gargle with it :slfg: From what I've been reading, you can become sensitive to it from repeated exposure. So to be on the safe side I keep it away from my skin, watch out for splashes getting in my eyes and wash my hands immediately if it does contact them.

You can nuke your bio-filter if you go over the top dosing Excel, but we're talking 5 X recommended dose type levels. My twisted val melted when I first started using it, but it's come away again and is growing like crazy now.

It's not thought to be carcinogenic, but it is toxic and an irritant.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/LT_rpts/tr490.pdf

• 2 months later...

These are reviews/feedback from one of the bottles you linked.

By Brian Olivier

I ordered this to use in my planted aquariums. This is a great, more concentrated, alternative to the popular carbon supplements that are used in planted tanks. It works well when properly diluted (1 & 1/2 part distilled water to one part Glute) and stored in a light-proof bottle. I only took off one star due to the much higher price per ounce compared to the 1 gallon bottle (which was out of stock when I ordered this) combined with the cost of shipping.

When something like this product is ordered for the sole purpose of saving money over a brand name specialty item the amount saved becomes the key issue. This is an excellent item and offers some real savings. If you are looking to use this for a small aquarium, or just to supplement a larger CO2 supplied tank, this 1 quart 14 day Glute is a fine option. But, if you have a large or multiple tanks, or you just want to make your money go as far as possible, the savings offered by the 1 gallon version is much much better.

By Zoea Warnick

i use it as an alternative to seachem excel. it also works well with killing algae in aquariums, i had an outbreak and it cleared it up without harming my fish, which are very sensitive!!