Tribute to the convict cichlid - original thread

disgustipated

i love convicts. have always kept them. they get a bad wrap being so prolific and cheap, but many don't realise they are one of the most fun, interesting, intelligent and pretty fresh water fish you can get here. so i felt like doing a thread where people can talk about, or better, show off their convicts, breeding setups, whatever, anything to do with convict cichlids.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they're great little fish, so often bagged for all the wrong reasons! I'd love to get some of the different wild strains (here I go again) available elsewhere, I'd love to have a little CA biotyope with a pair, or perhaps an all-male colony.

I think this was one of the first fish my wife showed a real interest in, little "pinkles"...

2-2.jpg

love my convicts, I hav had mine for over last 3 years. two males turned out big strong stunning looking with popped up forehead. and they neva have any issues with bigger cichlids. they can simply stand out and fight back which shows great character. Unfortunity, both died a few month ago.. but still have the female.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

yeah i know what you mean. i have seen some pretty rough looking convict x hybrids too. my old male was stocky but no colour. i think i got pretty lucky with this girl, especially considering she was bought as a feeder. got her from hollywood in albany for $3. fed massivore, shrimp, ox heart, squid, and i've seen her picking bits off of mutilated feeder fish carcasses which my jag has spat out... good food and variety helps bring out the colour. i reckon she'll try breed with my male dempsey soon.

Has she ever been bred? How big is she? I've often wondered about the effects of breeding on them as the ones I've seen that haven't been bred (like pinkles and another big striped male I had, which incidentally also started life as an uneaten feeder) often seem to end up growing big and impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if breeding repeatedly at a small size had an adverse effect on their potential size.

nah she hasn't been bred. she is only around 4 months old, 2cm when i got her, now at least 6cm. she has grown quite fast.

i have seen some interesting behaviour between her and the male JD, but nothing much more as yet. i think convict is still too young to breed.

i think you are right, spawning, i imagine, would take a lot out of a female fish and could stunt their growth due to nutrients being used to make eggs rather than to make the fish bigger. i had a 5cm female JD lay eggs couple weeks ago. way earlier than i ever thought they could breed. but then i don't know its history, maybe the lady JD is stunted and a lot older than she looks.

any eggs get eaten by the plecs pretty quickly anyway, once the lady fish realise spawning is futile then maybe she will stop producing eggs and focus more on growing?

just sold a little girl out of one of my tanks, approximately 6-7cm, never noticed her before, she had as much red on her than that but not quite as much blue/green could have been the light, but a real stunner anyways. (never noticed her before, normally only the smaller girls show themselves off in that tank)

it might have been the one i was perving at when i was down there. i wanted to pick it up on the way home, but... but.. i can't remember what happened now.

i have heard people say that their female convict lost most of its orange/blue colours as it matured. hope not. but males do seem to get a lot darker when they get full size.

I was given a breeding pair of convicts a few months ago and after trying to move them on grew quite attached to the female, she has nice colours even though she's previously been bred from. I have her large boyfriend in another tank and am still looking for a home for him so if anyone wants a male let me know haha

it might have been the one i was perving at when i was down there. i wanted to pick it up on the way home, but... but.. i can't remember what happened now.

i have heard people say that their female convict lost most of its orange/blue colours as it matured. hope not. but males do seem to get a lot darker when they get full size.

funny, this girl was the biggest and the best coloured.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder how mine compare bloodline/quality wise.

I bought them as my first ever Cichlids... as a pair male and female... they had one lot then the female has gone to another tank, the fry are in my growout tank at the moment and are looking good.

The male is in my new enclosure im building up as a nice display tank 400l bowlfront, its going to be a mixed tank i dont know how well its going to work, i hope to build it as natural as i can, lots of caves/hiding spots both small and large and will be stocking it with my male convict, a bunch of electric yellows, blue's and demisoni's maybe a couple of JD's and potentially... depending on how it behaves one Albino Tiger Oscar... i picked this fish up last week because it was so beatuiful! currently living solo in a 150l tank and im not too sure if it will mix well with my other fish... what are your thoughts?

also thinking of adding a couple of nice plecos but not sure?

Everyone meet Fred:

img3259l.jpg

He is my first ever Cichlid, a male convict.. around 4 years old according to the guy I bought him from

I know its not the best photo and it is in his old tank.. but any thoughts on him?

he looks beefy! such a good first cichlid. wanna pimp him out? lol

I would but not keen to ship him really... well.... i dunno we could do some kinda trade if you have some fry maybe?

He is pretty well fed, a nice selection of pallets, flakes and blood-worms every second day. He is currently almost alone in a 400litre tank im building... its just him and my Albino oscar