your fish keeping mistakes

disgustipated

this is a thread where you post the mistakes you have made in fish keeping.

we have all made mistakes, and learned from them.

the main point of this thread is so that others can learn from your mistakes.

and of course, we can all have a laugh at your expense.

anybody that wants to confess to a mistake anonymously, send it to me in a PM, then i will post it here, keeping your identity (and stupidity) a secret.

i'll start, with my worst and most costly mistake.

filled up my 650 litre tank without any poly under it. lasted for about 8 hours, then cracked right across the base, turning my room into a swimming pool. luckily it was a rental house and i've moved out now so water damage can be the new owners problem!

see: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63142

I forgot to add water conditioner one time a couple of years ago - 2 hours later I was wondering why all my fish were gasping for air and my dwarf chain loaches were all of a sudden dropping like flies :o

Always assumed my tap water has high chlorine levels so have been super careful since then!

Left Mum to feed the fish for a week, with as detailed instructions as I could. They weren't detailed enough - came home to fungus growing all over my tank floor (due to decomposing wafers, I assume) and a rather bloated betta :S