agggh filter stopped .. bacteria dead? UPDATE in first post

BikBok

I noticed my tank a little cloudy this morning and to my horror the filter plug had been knocked and wasn't on.

I took an ammonia reading and it was 0.5 .

SO now what? are all the bacteria dead or will some have survived?

Is the tank going to have to cycle from the start again or have I caught it in time?? None of the fish were showing any adverse reactions.

I have PRIME I can chuck in but I'm more concerned about whether this tank has to cycle afresh and what affects that will have on my fishies, Especially my otos and new baby butterfly pleco.

In the meantime.. water change plus prime? do I need to add ammolock or will that just hinder things?

EDIT: Its an over the tank hood filter (AR850) so some of the media would have dried out but the noodles would have been wet still.

UPDATE: well the ammonia settled down for a day or two then started going up again. The pH and temp are at levels where the ammonia isn't causing any extreme harm but I'm getting frustrated with the daily water changes (sometimes twice a day) in order to deal with the ammonia. The problem is my tap water is pH 8, and my tank is pH7.0 . I don't want he pH to start going up at the same time ammonia is present.

I'm using Prime as my dechlorinator but my understanding is it detoxifys the ammonia whilst still making it available to bacteria.

Todays ammonia reading is 2 (total ammonia) , the highest it's been . pH 7.0 and temp is 25oC. I can't afford the pH to start increasing.

Out of interest I have emailed watercare to see if my tap water reading should be pH 8, that seems high! Perfect for cichlids maybe but not my fishies!

I would just rinse the bio media well in tank water. Do a 50% water change and start filter again. Then watch ammonia and do water changes as necessary for a week or so.

There will still be some live bacteria in your media will not require new full cycle. I wouldn't use any additives

I often (about 3 times now) forget to turn the filter back on again on my AR380. I turn it off when feeding so the food doesn't blow all over the place.

It can be 12 hours or so before I notice. I just turn it back on again. Have never noticed any side affects. 8)

I often (about 3 times now) forget to turn the filter back on again on my AR380. I turn it off when feeding so the food doesn't blow all over the place.

It can be 12 hours or so before I notice. I just turn it back on again. Have never noticed any side affects. 8)

what fish do you have?

I remember well the current the 380 causes on the surface! I started off with an AR380 - great little tank. I still have the kuhlis from that tank they are now in my AR850. The old 380 is in storage as a backup emergency tank.

I think my fish will be ok (need a fingers crossed smily) but i did have an ammonia reading.. hopefully it won't get any higher.

what fish do you have?

Currently there are 8x Ember Tetra's and 8x Galaxy Rosbora's and 2x Otto. Previously there were numerous baby platy and a fighter. But I do quite frequent water changes. About 25% 2-3 times per week. I've never had an amonia reading. Even when it was new. Had a little nitrite once though when it was a couple of weeks old. It was supposed to be my hospital tank but is now fully planted etc.. etc... you know how it goes. :slfg:

I didn't have time to do a 50% waterchange (that would be about 10 buckets worth!) before taking my daughter to a holiday short course which is 1 1/2 hr drive away.. 3 hr round trip.

So I quickly changed two buckets, added prime and some zyme, turned the filter back on and was going to do a bigger change when I got back.

Just rechecked the ammonia and it's back down to zero ..and there's no nitrite either ... so looking hopeful and the fish seem ok :) I will keep checking levels of course.

I have a tank in my room that only runs a sponge filter and every night I turn it off as the noise drives my partner up the wall and I have never once had an ammonia reading or nitrate. Tank has been running for over 12 months like this and have never lost a single fish from this tank.

I have a tank in my room that only runs a sponge filter and every night I turn it off as the noise drives my partner up the wall and I have never once had an ammonia reading or nitrate. Tank has been running for over 12 months like this and have never lost a single fish from this tank.

i guess the sponge filter would be fully submerged in the tank itself? thus staying wet. My filter is over the hood so I was a bit worried but it's all worked out.