Gold Spot Dwarf Pleco

randomsam1001

I've just looked up Parotocinclus in the Baensch catfish atlas vol. 1. Apparently the undescribed species Parotocinclus sp. "Pernambuco" is caught with Pitbulls but is much rarer. It's on Planet Catfish

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/spe ... ies_id=899.

I suspect this is what you have Liam. Cool fish and hopefully more than one came in, including a male.

Fair enough. You have a better idea than us of the markings. Its hard to tell from your head shot. I was saying Parotocinclus sp. `PERNAMBUCO` as this species is caught with jumbos and exported with them. Parotocinclus sp. `PERNAMBUCO`, Parotocinclus sp. `RECIFE` and Parotocinclus spilosoma all look fairly similar in markings. Either way its a cool looking pleco. It might be worth getting your LFS store to ask the importer if he has any more gold flecked fish in stock. You might be able to get another one or two and have a crack at breeding them.

Nice pics. According to the Baensch catfish atlas vol. 1 the situation with these three forms is not that straight forward. Both Parotocinclus sp. 'PERNAMBUCO' and Parotocinclus sp. 'RECIFE' are very similar and both are caught with P. jumbo. They call what is called P. spilosoma in the trade Parotocinclus sp. 'RECIFE', and suggest that P. spilosoma may be something different. Its all very confusing but you have either P. spilosoma (or Parotocinclus sp. 'RECIFE') or Parotocinclus sp. 'PERNAMBUCO'. Apparently Parotocinclus sp. 'PERNAMBUCO' is stockier and the yellow bits are more linear and dispersed.

• 3 months later...