Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lighting issue

Featured Replies

I am doing a planted tank that is 1500x700x700.

My question is what will be the best light set up for growing plants? I want to work it out before I go and spend XX on some lights just to find out I messed up and need to spend more on some new ones.

What's your budget and what type of plants do you want to grow, they're the two factors that determine what you need pretty much.

Also for a tank 700 deep you pretty much have to use metal halide to be able to successfully grow anything that's considered light demanding.

  • Author

As with all things the budget is as little as possible for as much as possible. always willing to fork out for something if it is worth it.

As for the plants, they will be mainly medium to high light required plants.

My main issue is tank depth, to type of lighting, have had suggested by a couple of people 4 T8's and others say MH.MH is what I originaly was thinking due to the tank depth, but just want to know other options before I got and do it

You probably don't want to use T8 lights, unless your plants are happy with a lower light. (for a planted tank you would normally use T5HO lights).

MH or LED is going to be the safest option. Unfortunately if you are trying to do this on a budget with such a deep tank it's going to be a real challenge.

One trick though - if you really cannot afford big lights - is to only half or 2 thirds fill the tank until the plants mature. Light travels just fine through air, it's when it hits the water that the trouble starts.

  • Author
One trick though - if you really cannot afford big lights - is to only half or 2 thirds fill the tank until the plants mature. Light travels just fine through air, it's when it hits the water that the trouble starts.

Thanks for that tip, I have never thought of that. I am one of those people that fill a tank to the top so I havent thought about part filling before.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.