SJO 'S GOOD NEWS

caserole

Marty,

a 50lt tank would be enough for 4 fish (2 pairs ) with good filtation and reg water changes.

The fry are just under half growen, but will need lots of food every day to grow to there full size 12cm.

As there big eaters I would not use gravel. If you did it would be better to have them in a larger tank that could handle the unseen waste(hense better to have no gravel).

they are carnavors, so anything meaty is good, good quality flake, beef heat, boodworms, medium garden worms, mozzy riglers, water fleas, small fish :o any thing you can think of.

I've grown them fast so you really need to keep up with there needs or when in 10 months it comes time to breed them the females will not fill with eggs readly, making it harder to have a succesful spawn.

don't know wether I'll be able to get the fish to Caryl but will try.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Doesn't time fly.

Some months ago I put the word out for some SJO's and was lucky enough to pick a pair up as there were only a hand full of pairs out there from the 100's I breed.

Anyway they were in a 600x600x300h tank but not doing much and I was to busy to breed them.

On the weekend I rehomed them in a 600x300x300h tank with the intentions of fattening the female for spawning as they are over 10 months old.

I finished cleaning out there old tank after work today and thought I'd comb the gravel and see if hey had been laying...

This is what I found

RIMG1374Small.jpg

Incase you cant quit see them all the answer is 235 eggs.

Well a day or two after the last post I noticed 2 died eggs. This in it self is no big deal, what was - was they died because the fry had hatched.

So I when through them quickly and put 14 eggs back in water and the next day they had hatched.

The next day more of the eggs had died the same way so thought bugger it !! and placed all the eggs back in water.

As a result quit a lot of the eggs fungused but I did end up with 50+ fry on top of the 14 with around 70 eggs back on peat.

Tonight I have placed the breeders into a breeding tank that I can break down and reset quickly and the breeders are in even better condition then before so it'll be interesting what I find tomorrow afternoon, hopefully heaps of eggs :D .