getting brakes done

Sophia

Do brake disc rotors always need machining when you replace the brake pads?

We've replaced brakes on our cars before and not done it. I have a quote from a mechanic who wants $350 to change the brake pads but also to machine the rotors. I am thinking of asking 'how much if we just want the pads changed' but don't want to sound like a wally asking.

Why not replace the pads yourself? I don't know for sure about your car but most vehicles it's literally a matter of pulling the wheels off, undoing two bolts, pulling out the old pads and putting new ones in. I'd be surprised if new pads cost more than $150ish.

And no, you don't need to machine the rotors unless they're warped. You'd feel pulsing or vibration of the brake pedal when braking if it is.

Thanks to both

My husband usually changes the brake pads but car work is usually accompanied by much swearing and gnashing of teeth so I thought I'd get a quote in case I could save him the irritation. For $350 though, he's going to have to do it :bggrn:

I think the pads he was looking at are only about $45 + new brake fluid etc.

The problem with not skimming your discs is that your brakes will take a lot longer to bed in properly as your discs will have an uneven surface and your new pads will be flat. Which means you brakes wont be as effective for a week or two or however long it takes for your new pads to wear to the same contours as the disc surface. There are two things you shouldn't skimp on when servicing a car. One is tyres the other is brakes. Both of these affect the distance required to stop before hitting the car in front.

BTW, $350 is way OTT. Try Midas. They are the cheapest IMO.

:bggrn:

if the face of the disc isn't smooth it will make them work more efficiently if they are machined. If you have no problems with the way it brakes now i would just change pads and leave it at that but don't get the cheapest pads you can find, get something like a "C Plus" brand or better which can usually be bought at around $45 retail.

one of these spreaders makes the job so easy and for only $15 it's really worth it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 467340.htm

what is the car? you could likely by new rotors for less than what they want to machine the existing ones.

How old is the car and how many kms has it done? Rotors do wear out, if you rub your finger across the face of it you may be able to feel a lip at the outer edge if they're getting worn. Quite often people wait until they start shuddering under braking, perhaps your mechanic can see they're getting worn and is trying to avoid one of those "why didn't you tell me they needed replacing when I had the brake pads done last week, you just want to be able to charge me double the labour you money hungry bastard" type conversations they often end up in.

Car is 1996 and has done 200,000km.

This particular garage is one of those that have a range of types of service for set (expensive) fees. I would have expected that there were 2 prices quoted - 1 for the full grind n replace, one for just replace, but that wasn't offered. So I'm not too interested in people who want to make money off me regardless of the requirements.

Thanks Smidey for pointing out that tool, we will get one of those as usually he uses a clamp which is tricky. I see Midas have a 3 tier price structure for brake replacing.

You can actually visibly see the "lip" (provided you've taken the disc off) around the outside of disc. If the it's worn down to circa 50% of the original total depth you should just replace it though.

And yeah, that price is way over the top, new rotors shouldn't cost too much...

Buy your Husband the relevant Haynes manual.

Prior to re-joining the Air Force, I was in the Auto trade for 5 years, and as others have said, you don't NEED to get the rotors skimmed every brake pad change. Unless there is a noticable lip or gouges in the disc, I wouldn't worry.

The only thing is, if you or your partner intend on replacing the brake pads yourselves to save money, put that saved money towards a decent set of pads, not cheap and nasty $40 ones.

And give the pads a quick scuff with some medium grit sandpaper before you put them in. You don't need to go to town on them, just a very brief rough up. Then once in, bed them in properly. ie drive down the road and brake heavily (but don't stop), and do that a few times in succession.

Buy a brake piston spreader too, they are only $10 from Repco. They make life REALLY easy when putting the pads in!