More flow from Canister.

Godly3vil

Hey people I am wondering if anyone on this forum has experience running a pump inline on the output side of a canister filter to give it more flow, I have a spare eheim 2213 lying around that has a broken impeller and I really don't want to replace it but was thinking of running an inline pump instead, something like an eheim 1060. I would fill the canister with just bio balls so I don't risk the filter material clogging up and restricting flow to the pump.

There is too much conflicting information on the net (surprising I know!!!) but I cant see why I can't?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes, I would have it pulling water through rather than pushing it.

I don't really want to replace the impeller as last time I had to buy one it cost over $50 and also the pumps on the 2213's are really crappy. If I put a more powerful pump on after the filter I could then run either my co2 reactor or inline diffuser, with the normal 2213 pump I think it would struggle to put out enough flow for this.

I was just going to run a loop system just like a canister using the pump but thought why not use the spare 2213 as well for extra biological filtration.

The only thing I could see going wrong is the seals on the 2213 not having enough pressure to be able to cope with the extra power of the eheim 1060 pump but I think it would be fine as long as the pump was connected after the canister.

Just to clarify I do not need the extra filtration provided from the eheim 2213 but it won't harm my setup either by adding more biological filtration.

I used to run an aquis 2400 with a pool pump paper filter inline before the canister filter. To boost flow I used a 1300lph pond pump in the tank it worked well . I had both the pump and filter pump going at the same time. I would recommend running the pump before the filter as I think it would work better also take into account many pumps run hotter and way noisier when not submersed while an ehiem would be fine it tends to shorten the lifespan of cheap pumps

i am considering doing a similar thing and i was told it would not be a good idea because its forcing the filter pump to good faster than it is meant to (my pump still works i just want more flow). he said than the filter pump would not last this way. can anyone confirm this?

i am considering doing a similar thing and i was told it would not be a good idea because its forcing the filter pump to good faster than it is meant to (my pump still works i just want more flow). he said than the filter pump would not last this way. can anyone confirm this?

I don't think it would matter. If you are worried then take out the impeller from the canaster filter and just run the pump/powerhead.

Like the others said, the canister won't be pumping.

But, I think there is something to that. I have tried having a 404 pumping through another 404, thought that way I might be able to just have one intake and one spray bar. It started an odd rhythmic surging cycling about every second or so. Even if it wasn't causing any excess wear or damage it was definitely annoying. No idea what the exact cause was.